108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: connect two computers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

connect two computers

I would like to know how to connect two computers at home without internet accesses.

I just heard crossover cable, or called ethernet crossover cable?

If I understood correctly the cable should be eqaully the same in the two ends, so each end of the cable should be pluged into the hub or telephone wire access place.

Then what software? or make setting in somewhere?

Thanks!

Cheng

cheng.luo@tiscali.fi

14 REPLIES 14
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Cheng,

What OS are you running on both ends?
1. If you want to use Cross-Over LAN Cable, then you do not need hub for that but just plug both ends at each of the two PCs Network Cards.
2. If you want to use a Hub between the two computers, then you do not need Cross-Over but just straight-through ethernet cable connected from each computer to the hub.

3. No need for any software but just install TCP/IP, NetBuei, Client for Microsoft Network and File and Printer Sharing on both PCs.

Btw: The UTP ethernet cable is a RJ45 connector and will not fit in the Telephone Jack! The Telephone connector is RJ11. This is just an extra info.

let us know what is your OS?
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello Cheng,
LATIF has posted all right information.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi Cheng,
It is possible and simple too.

1. Install Ethernet Cards properly and configure them.
Right Click on N/w Neighbourhood / select properties OR Right Click on MyNetworkPlaces then select properties then right click on LocalAreaConnection and select properties.

2. Install TCP/IP and assign IP addresses.
Give any valid IP address and bind successfully with the NIC.

3. Get the Cross Over Cable and simply connect both Machines Ethernet cards to each other.
This Cross Over Cable has RJ45 Connector and goes into RJ45 port on the Ethernet card.

Try pinging One PC from another. It should work.

Regards

**I assume you will be using Windows Platform. No addtl. software is required.
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

it is this one? (attached)

I need to connect my HP laptop computer with another desktop computer

Both computer can access to internet with modem.

Thank you very much!

Cheng
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Cheng:

That's not the cable!

It should look exactly like a normal straight-through ethernet cable (the difference is internal). Most places don't have a crossover cable lying around. On the other hand, it sounds like you're doing this at home and may not have a straight-through cable lying around either. If that's the case, when you go out to buy a cable, 90% of the cables for sale will be straight-through. Make sure you get the crossover kind of cable OR...
buy a hub/switch and two straight-through cables. The hub gives you a small advantage for debugging and you can add additional devices to your network.

You still haven't told us what OS (version of Windows) you're using. Let us know that if you have more problems.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Find the Attached. Go to page no 39/40.
Complete description about Straight and cross over cable is given along with diagram.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

Dear Roger,

Thank you very much!

My computer is using Window 2000 professional. I heard such connection only can be done with WindowXP?

Yes! I will try to search a croverover cable in shop (CompUSA), so apparently there is no difference between crossover and straight through cables?

Actually the main reason I need such connection is because my old laptop computer is more than 3 years old now, I intend to buy another new computer, I need to transfer 10GB of files to new computer.

Thank you very much again!

Cheng

Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Cheng,

What you are trying to setup for your home network is called Peer to Peer Network and is should work with Win9x/Win2000 Pro/WinXP and even Win2k Servers can be used for P2P network..
This article will walk you through the steps:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258717&Product=win2000

Good luck and don't forget the points!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

Sorry if I confused you. What I meant to convey was that the cables look the same but they are very different. ONLY the crossover cable will work to directly connect two computers using ethernet. The straight-through cable will work to connect 2 computers via a hub or switching hub. Some newer hubs are 'smart' enough to detect the kind of cable that is connected and accomodate either one. Those devices will typically have a -X or MDI-x designation on those ports capable of this function.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger