1748089 Members
4824 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Space is not showing

jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Disk Space is not showing

Hi GAll, I am newbie, We have received new HP DL360 G4 server with Win 2008 R2 installed. Server have two 72GB HDD's. But in windows it is only showing 32gb used and 5 GB remaining.

I am not sure how to recognise the remaining space.

Could any one advise please.

Regards
9 REPLIES 9
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Check if you have some unallocated space in disk management.
Start - Run - diskmgmt.msc

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.aspx

Hope it helps.
jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response,

no its only showing C drive only, any other advise please...

Thanks

Jag
jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Hi Guys,

Any response/advise please, I am still struggling with the disk space (not being recognized).

Thanks in advance.

Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshot of what diskmgmt.msc shows?
Also, run ACU and add screeshots of both physical and logical views.

To run ACU (Start - Programs - HP System Tools - HP Array Configuration Utility).

Thanks.
jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Mate,

HP array config utility was not installed, I installed it and it is now showing remaining disk. disk 1 is configured as RAID 1, so out of 72 it is showing 39.12G, to extend another 72Gig disk, if I select RAID 1 , I am only getting 33.1Gig to create another logical drive. and if I slect RAID 0 , I will have an option to create 63.1Gig logical drive.

What option should I choose?

Cheers
Jag
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Given your current configuration, here's what I would do.

RAID 1 gives you fault tolerance. What you've got is a mirrored volume.
When you have 2 72GB HDds, but select only 33,9 GB out of each disk, you get a 33,9 GB mirrored volume.
RAID 1 arrays (or mirrored volumes) make you get half of the whole storage capacity you selected, in order to set up the mirrored volume.

RAID 0 works differently. I gives you the whole capacity you selected. These are known as stripped volumes. It stores data in 64 KB data blocks. It offers no redundancy (fault tolerance) and therefore it only writes data in one disk at a time. It just uses both disks storage capacity and makes it appear as 1 sigle disk.

I would set up a new RAID 1 disk configuration out of the remaining disk capacity.
Just know, you'll get an additional 33,9 GB drive (mirrored volume).
After that, you'll need to go to diskmgmt.msc and create a new partition.

Hope it helps.
jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Edgar,

It helps, and issue is being resolved.

Could you please also advise on below:

Box have Windows Web Server 2008 R2 (64) Installed. I tried to download Network Configuration utility to combine the NIC but I am receiving an error during installation, error message is OS is not supported.

Download from here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288140&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397638&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024

Another thing - in Device Manager, Base System driver is not installed and I am not sure what driver to download for this?

Please advise.

Cheers

Jag
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor
jag2050
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response,

I have assigned the point to you.

I have also create a new thred here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1436399

but still I am unable to install network utility. Could you advise there also please.