108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error message when you delete files from redirected My Documents folder

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shaun Arrowsmith
Occasional Contributor

Error message when you delete files from redirected My Documents folder

I am migrating user folders from Windows Server 2000 to new Windows Storage Server 2008 (HP). I am manually redirecting My Documents on my XP machine to my folder on the new Server. I get the following error message when I delete files from My Documents: Cannot Delete : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and filename. The file does delete after clicking OK but does not return to my local Recyle Bin as it should. I've double check all the share and security permissions and they are the same on both servers and this is occuring for all users. No errors are found in the server or client event logs.

I've tried the following:

1) Tested another Windows Server 2008 (not Storage Server) and everything works fine.
2) Turning off off-line files does not fix the problem.
3) Changing the path from the UNC path \\server\users\username to \\192.168.101.1\users\username does not fix it.
4) Opening up permissions to everyone does not fix it.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
15 REPLIES 15
SLAING
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I have the same identical problem, and it is an HP Storageworks X1600 with Windows 2008 R2 Storage Server. Can't figure this out for the life of me, has anyone else run into this and better yet - has anyone figured out how to fix it?

thanks,
HOSP ADMIN

Same problem exactly!!! someone please help
Muruganantham M
Frequent Advisor

hi,
can u try this
Error Deleting File or Folder Cannot delete (filename): Cannot find the specified path. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

To correct: Right click the Recycle Bin/Properties/Check: Do Not Move Files to the Recycle Bin...

FYI:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rb

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131702
HOSP ADMIN

OK!!! Great..no error now, YAY!......but how do i fix it.. i can't have 200 users that don't have a recycle bin.
Muruganantham M
Frequent Advisor

Dear HOSP ADMIN,

same setting u can do from group policy,
pls follow $ find attach gpedit.msc(if u have domain add in already exciting GP)

UserConfiguration-->Administrative templete-->Windows components-->Windows Explorer,Don`t Move deleted files to the Recycle Bin. open need to enable and apply,then update GP for client(gpupdate/force)
Shaun Arrowsmith
Occasional Contributor

Yes, already have that in place because of this, but like HOSP Admin says, it leaves us with 200 odd users without a recycle bin, would be great if you could do it for the mapped drives, and leave the local drives recyclable!
Muruganantham M
Frequent Advisor

dear have u done above GP in AD,and GP updated success?
Note:-
some time Recycle may hidden under users(may allusers,or FS itself)
fyi:-http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dont-click-delete-10-free-tips-for-the-recycle-bin-windowsxp/
HOSP ADMIN

OK, this is what I'm thinking.

1) The problem lies in the way 2008 is storing files....it is not allowing the user access to create or save recycle bin files in their my docs that are stored on the 2008 file server.
(if we can find out what is blocking this, permissions/ports etc) we should be able to fix..

OR

2) the local Recycle bin did not move where it is saving the file....it might still be trying to save the recycle bin files on the original server for some reason....this too should be fixable if we can find out where that location is stored.

SLAING
Occasional Advisor

Something of interest, I was able to get the error message to go away AND still have a recycle bin by setting the recycle bin properties at the desktop for "Configure Drive Independently" and then setting the reserved space to a setting less than the default of 10%, I went with 1%.

This let me delete files from a redirected my docs folder, no error message rcvd and the deleted file(s) show up in the recycle bin.

Curious.