5567 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Storage diagnostics

PeterSo
Collector

HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Storage diagnostics

Hi

We have purchased a HPE Proliant MicroServe Gen10 and are looking to support the server remotely. We are using Windows Server 2019 on the server and will use an external monitoring system to poll the server for details on its health.

A question was posed to us recently in regards to the RAID setup and how to recognise a disk failure. Currently we have a RAID1 setup and we have installed the Marvell Storage Utility drivers for Windows Server 2016 (as there seems to be no drivers for Windows Server 2019 for this device). Besides from setting up the Marvell software to send an email which is an option whould there be any other options for monitoring for a disk failure? Does anyone know of an event that shows up in the Windows Event Viewer?

I have noted that in the Event Viewer the following location seems to have disk information in but I am unable to tell from the output if this would alert me to a RAID failure or if it would just tell me the state of the single disk that Windows can see.

Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > StorPort > Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Storport/Health

Thank you in advance,

Peter

3 REPLIES 3
pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting your query in the HPE Community!

You may want to monitor below event ID's to monitor the disk health 

• Event ID 5. This error indicates SCSI parity errors.  
  • Event ID 7. This error indicates that bad blocks exist.  
  • Event ID 9. This issue indicates SCSI bus timeouts.  
  • Event ID 11. The driver detected a controller error on <DEVICE_NAME> 
  • Event ID 15. The device, <DEVICE_PATH>, is not ready for access yet.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

PeterSo
Collector

Hi Prragav,

Thank you for coming back to me. 

What is the event log are you reviewing to see those event codes?

I have been trying a few things with the RAID to see if I can get an event to show up in one of the event logs. So far I've not had much success. Although I cannot check from bad sectors on a disk I was hoping to see an event if I popped a disk in the Array but it seems that the Windows Event Viewer does not show any new record for a missing disk.

The Marvell software Disk Management software does show the RAID as degraded and has it's own event viewer that shows the details, also if you have the tray icon running it pops up a notification. Unfortunatly this is not really good for managing the server remotely. The email option within the Marvell service may be our only option by the looks of it.

pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Most of the events provided earlier are logged in System event logs, If you do not see these events and continue to see notifications from your software , then I would recommend you to perform the Hardware diagnostics to eliminate any hardware issues which may cause the software to report degraded behavior. 

Regards,