Operating System - Microsoft
1748060 Members
5413 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing UNIX on PC

Hussam

Installing UNIX on PC

Does any body know where I can download UNIX to install on a PC for practice purposes?

Can it be installed on a PC?
14 REPLIES 14
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, it's called Linux. Do a google search on Linux download.

Pete

Pete
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Your best choice would be Linux or SCO-UX. Linux is available for free and can be downloaded from the net.

You can't install HP-UX on a normal PC!
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Hussam

I have windows XP on my current machine, do you think I can install linux on the same machine without damaging windows?
Robert Gamble
Respected Contributor

it is possible, but not recommended. if you do not have an available partition, you will need to repartition your harddrive. I recommend you add an addtional harddrive (drives are cheap these days).
Helen French
Honored Contributor

You can do that if you have either two partitions (h/w partition) on the Windows XP disk, which is now free OR if you have another disk to play with.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Anil C. Sedha
Trusted Contributor

It is possible.

It is even possible to have unix installed alongwith a Windows OS.

For this, you may use Linux, SCO unix, Solaris.

I heard sometime back that hp-ux has also got a intel edition, but i am not aware of it so won't suggest you that.

Be sure to take a backup of your current data in case you want to install alongwith your current windows OS.

Solaris offers free Unix OS. Linux is the most favourable for a new user and is available in various versions for free. It also has a GUI thus being very user friendly.

enjoy
-Anil
If you need to learn, now is the best opportunity
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

If you just want to practice UNIX commands, you can install cygwin and try them. You do not need to format your drive. It is easy to install.

http://www.cygwin.com/

If you really want to get into UNIX world including administration, then I would suggest Linux as mentioned by others.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

If you want the goods of Unix, but still want the user friendlyness < cough cough > of Window$, you can install Cygwin (from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/) and it will install a complete unix environment on your PC, including development toos (GNU gcc), X11 server and client, network tools, etc etc)

Enjoy, have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

I have Window$XP and RedHat7.3 installed on the same PC with GRUB as bootloader. I had previous SuSe Linux also together with Windoze. There is no problem - you have first to reduce your Windoze partition (with Partition Magic for example) and then install Linux in the space left. Perform a disk defragmentation before reducing the Windoze partition - but why not installing Linux alone? - I've got WindowsXP only because my wife need MSOffice :-)
Have a lot of fun ....
If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all