6099 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need help printing to a file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthony Jones

Need help printing to a file

After using the print to file feature, I have a file that I do not know how to print. I am using Windows NT 4.0 workstation. After I get a .prn file, what am I supposed to use to get the file to come out on paper? I can't use the: type filename.prn >prn because all of my printers are on the network. Is there some way to do this in Windows NT 4.0 workstation?

Can someone please help?
4 REPLIES 4
Dries Bertier
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Need help printing to a file

You can simply copy the file to a printer.
For example: 'copy file.prn lpt1' for local printer or 'copy file.prn \\servername\printername' for network printing.

Give it a try,

Dries
<< please try >>
Anthony Jones

That was very helpful. Is there any way to do with graphically? Without using the Command Line?
Dries Bertier
Respected Contributor

I don't know if you can do the job in the windows GUI. But i thought of the following: you can create a directory where you put all prn files you created. Then you can create your own script (vbs or ordinary bat file) that copies the files to your specified printer. Then you can schedule the script to run whenever you want. Then there is no need to use the command line anymore.

Dries
<< please try >>
Martin Golan

I got it to work at my office, on the network printer, but I can't get print to file to work at home. The printer is connected on a UBS port, and I tried every variation I could think of, including copying the port name from the print icon. Using "copy *.prn lpt1" gets the error message that the printer is not connected or not on, but it's definitely connected and turned on.
Any ideas? Running Windows 98 at home.