108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCL editor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Tschida
Occasional Contributor

PCL editor

Is there an editor for PCL? I need to design a macro to display a grid of lines for my text only application. I need control codes and PCL commands only. Not HP-GL/2 commands. Or, at least a Windows printer driver that will only output PCL. For example, are there drivers for PCL 3 (only) available that would use the Rectangular area commands instead of raster commands?

6 REPLIES 6
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PCL editor

Jim,

Here are the steps to download and install HP's Status Readback Tool:

1. Go to http://www.hpdevelopersolutions.com/index.cfm

2. Join the program as a free Affiliate Member

3. Click on developer kits, LaserJet, LaserJet Communication, LaserJet Communication Tools and Code.

4. Download the Status Readback Tool (srtool.exe). There is no installation. Just run the exe to start the utility.

5. Download the SR Tool Documentation (srtool.pdf). Use the sample exercise to become familiar with the SR Tool.

Please let us know what happens.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Jim Tschida
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to display the output from SRTool to a display screen rather than printing it?
I found JetASM 6.0 on the HPdevelopersolutions website. It has a "Display" button. The default program entered under that option is PXLDebugger.exe but there doesn't seem to be such a program. Any recommendations?
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

I use SRTool for simple PJL commands, to change default printer settings. I don't know much more about it.

It might not do what you are looking for.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Jim Tschida
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jay, with your help we found HP's JetASM. We can compose PCL with comments and then assemble that into a raw printer file. With two clicks we can open up SwiftView for windows to view the output on-screen. Much paper is saved while we debug the PCL code!
BPooley
Occasional Advisor

You can only edit PCL in a binary editor or extraneous characters get introduced.

PCLFilter.exe can search and replace escape codes.  It comes with PCLWorks program.

PCLSplit.exe creates form overlay or placeable logo/signature/letterhead macros from any Windows application. It also comes with PCLWorks program.

PCLCodes.exe translates PCL into readable English for debugging and learning PCL.  It comes with PCLWorks program.

PCLWorks.exe program views, converts, extracts text and prints PCL to ANY windows printer driver.

PCLXForm.exe can stream edit PCL (search, replace, merge, change tray assignments, add - macro, logo, overlay and other resources, etc.).  It comes with PCLTool SDK along with a port monitor to capture the PCL spool file and redirect it.  PCLXForm.exe has a script programming language and is most commonly used to split PCL documents into individually-named/indexed PDF files for archiving, web presentment, etc.  PCLMagic printer drivers are also used to generate PCL that embeds searchable UTF8/Unicode text for extraction downstream from the point of printing.  And, all the other programs come with the SDK as well.

PCLReader.exe is a freeware PCL viewer/converter.

Domains for all can be found at pagetech.com or by replacing the .exe with .com.

Regards,

BP

GKlimm

Where are these tools gone?