108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quick Launch Toolbar

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Bromwell
Frequent Advisor

Quick Launch Toolbar

I'm trying to add a quick launch toolbar to my task bar. Help says to right click on a blank area of the task bar, and then click on quick launch. When I right click on the task bar, quick launch is not an option. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ron
life's a journey, not a destination
10 REPLIES 10
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

What operating system and version are you running? I tested this in Windows 2000 and it appears to be working.

Thanks,
Jamie Hughes
Ron Bromwell
Frequent Advisor

Windows 95
Office 2000
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, I can't find a win95 machine to test on but I found a win98. Maybe we can figure it out.

If you right click the taskbar, do you have a Toolbars selection? On my 98, NT, and W2K machines, the Quick Launch option is found here:

Right click the taskbar - Toolbars - Quick Launch. Do you have the Toolbars selection and is there a Quick Launch option there? Do you have any SRs installed for win95 or is it the original build?

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

One of my teammates had win95 installed so I just did some testing, and learned something new! The Quick Launch Toolbar is an active desktop feature, which you get from Internet Explorer (starting at IE 4.x). Did you just reinstall this machine or is it a new install? You probably don't have that selection because you haven't upgraded IE to an "active" version.

What version of IE is installed? Try downloading the latest version and you should have that feature. Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Sorry Ron,

One other thing. When you upgrade to IE, you might see an option to add the Windows Desktop Update (depends on what version you install). Make sure you select that option, if prompted, because that's where the active components are.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Ron Bromwell
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jamie,
I have no toolbar option when I write click on the task bar. My options when clicking on the task bar are:
cascade
tile horizontally
tile vertically
minimize all windows
properties

I checked in the properties selection, an I have no setting in there for toolbars.

My Windows 95 version is 4.00.950 B
This came from the general information tab under the system properties menu.

I recently upgraded to IE 5.0. I looked around in the IE settings, but could find nothing for the quick launch toolbar.

Thanks,
Ron
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ron,

It sounds like you had an older version of IE installed prior to your upgrade to 5.x, OR, you did not install the Windows Desktop Update when you intalled 4.x. This can be a little tricky, because you have to remove 5.x, then install 4.x with the desktop update, then you can upgrade. I actually got myself into this mess on my home computer and this is how I recovered from it.

Here's a general article on how to install 4.x (Windows Desktop Update):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q165/6/95.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=q165695&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=CHS

NOTE that the first thing you have to do is uninstall IE 5.x. There's a link in the article above on how to do that. After you uninstall 5.x, follow the steps to install 4.x, making sure you select the Windows Desktop Update option. Once you get that working and verify you have the Quick Launch toolbar, you can upgrade to IE 5.x.

Sorry for the confusion. That should get you fixed up if you follow those steps. I didn't want to share that with you right off the bat because I thought it might be an easier/quicker fix. Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Ron Bromwell
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jamie,
Worked like a charm. I uninstalled IE 5.0,
added the windows desktop components in 4.0,
then reinstalled IE 5.0

Thanks Again,
Ron
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Just an FYI... The Quicklaunch shortcuts are actually located in the folder \\Windows\\Application_Data\\Microsoft\\Internet_Explorer\\Quick_Launch (underlines are spaces). On a Microsoft machine setup with multiple profiles (98, NT, W2K) it is in the same location except under the user Prifiles directory. Moving, copying, or creating a shortcut to this folder will instantly make it available in the Quick Launch section of the system tray.