Sendmail headers and Outlook 2000

10 REPLIES 10
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Re: Sendmail headers and Outlook 2000

James Meadows
Occasional Advisor

I understand the basics of MIME encoding and email. I can create a properly encoded message as a text file on my mail server(simliar to my first example above) and use sendmail to send it to myself. The mail server re-encodes it so that it arrives at my POP box looking like the second example. I appreciate the help but my problem isn't related to MIME-capable email clients or the basics of how the encoding works. My mail server is encoding the messages in a manner that makes Outlook display them incorrectly and I need to know how to make sendmail stop being a naughty boy.

James
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You seems to be having opnemail in your environment. This could be configuration setting in openmail's general.cfg file.

Also check if you can set something on outlook for the attachements.

-USA..
Good Luck..
James Meadows
Occasional Advisor

You are correct that I am using Openmail, but there is nothing in general.cfg related to mail headers.

As for configuring Outlook, I already checked that and came up empty. As I said, mail from other mail servers is okay and I see that my email headers do not look like those from other ISPs.
Bill Williamson

I believe I am experiencing a similar problem in receiving emails with attachments.

I am finding that Outlook handles these emails differently than Outlook Express. I do not believe the problem involves my ISP since I have tested the condition with different ISPs.

If I am sent an email with brief text and an attachment document, Outlook will put the email message into a .txt attachment and embed the attached document into the email body. I my case, this is a serious problem because, what should be an attached document is a form that I need to print without email headers.

If I open the email in Outlook Express, the brief email message properly appears in the body of the email and the attached document is in an attachment as it should be.

Are there any suggestions you can offer that may help overcome this problem?
Go Wahoos!!
Bryan White_2

Greetings:

I have the same issue that you describe above, and I agree with your assesment that Outlook 2k does not strictly and correctly handle the headers. However, I believe the solution lies in Openmail's config, not Sendmail's.

I have found that I could alter, but not solve, the problem by editing /var/opt/openmail/sys/mimeout.str - this file affects the way Openmail attempts to munge outgoing messages for compatibility with other mail servers/clients.

Have you found a solution to your originally posted issue?

Thanks,

Bryan
James Meadows
Occasional Advisor

We have not fixed our problem yet, but we were recently advised that an Openmail patch from a few years ago fixed this problem. We certainly have missed some patches so I am willing to believe this. However, we have not gotten the patch applied yet so I don't know if the update really fixes the problem. I'll update this thread once I know something more

- James
James Meadows
Occasional Advisor

We have mostly fixed our problem by applying all outstanding patches and updates. The main problem is resolved so that I now get text inline even when attachments are included. It still mangles the message when there is an .html attachment, inserting the .html inline and attaching the inline text.

HP's support has always been friendly and eager to help, but we've experienced too many issues that HP couldn't solve. Add this to the enormous support contract looking at us this year and the uncertainty associated with the product, and we decided to change course. We are a few weeks away from coming up with Exchange 2000 and turning off our HP Openmail server.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Just an afterthought to this issue, is to possibly try an upgrade to outlook 2002. MS did change file attachment behavior with that version.

Also, Html code coming from a questionable sources can be bad even before it hits an email relay server, so this can contribute to junking out problems in particular situations.

Exchange will hopefully clear up these issues too.

Are the file attachments small or big? Just a wondering?

Jim