1753318 Members
7334 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Someone save me

Kellie_1

Someone save me

My compaq 5461 I just rebooted with the orgional disk so I could use it in a new capacity - mainly for the internet - so I get it all loaded and ready to go - log on then it freezes - have rebooted and reformated too many times to count and am now at a complete loss - is there a patch or something I am missing - its running windows 98 it ran fine before I started this mess, none of the compaq help stuff has helped since most of it wants you to log on and it freezes to the point you have to unplug in order to reboot.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME
KELLIE
4 REPLIES 4
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Few questions:
Does it start up normaely in Safe mode?
What programs are installed?
Did you have any strange or error messages during installation of the OS.
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"

Hi Kellie,

You have not mentioned whether any error messages appear on the screen or whether you have changed any configuration settings on your computer. If so please inform about the various error messages or the changes that has been made.
Alternatively if you have the restore CD with you, you could try to do a SYSTEM RESOTRE. most of the time this remedy should work as this undoes all the settings to a time when your system was working fine. You could just go ahead with the Non-destructive system recovery and prefer for a date that is earlier than when this issue has occured...
debi_2
Occasional Advisor

always make sure to unplug ALL peripherals when doing a format only keyboard mouse and monitor should be plugged in - especially if the o/s is an oem version
Kellie_1

I found the problem by elimination, there were no problems loading the os or on the boot - but when I logged onto the internet it would only mouse click once or twice - when I removed the compaq on line help program it works fine -= hmmmmm
Now since I have given this machine over to the girls at the brothel - I can get something bigger better and more zow power - unfortunatly I am limited in modem speed by being in the middle of no where nv with 56 k modem max - sigh.......
Thanks for all your replies
Madame
Kellie
Donnas Ranch