108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

two pc's on one modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

two pc's on one modem

My daughter has one HP desk top pc and a compaq laptop. Can both be connected to the cable modem with a simple two way splitter or does it require a router. She can have two ISP's from her cable company.
c'est la guerre
7 REPLIES 7
palaniappan.sp
Regular Advisor

Re: two pc's on one modem

Hi,
Pls post the modem model and OS details.Normally modem will not support.U need to DSL modem.

Regds,
Palani
Everything is Possible and Anything is Feasible if u try
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Pilani, I assume that she has the same cable modem as I have from the shaw.ca cable company, but due to physical problems I can not check mine and have to wait for someone to do that. (it is 8 am new years day) I will contact her as soon as possible. ps I use a router or hub to connect the other pc's
c'est la guerre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Palaniappan.sp. the model is a
motorola, model SB5102 and she can have two ISP's, however that would involve getting a ethercard is it not? it would be nice if she could just connect a two way splitter.
Thanks for replying
c'est la guerre
palaniappan.sp
Regular Advisor

Hi joe,
U can use Hub for the connecting the two pc's and tell me one thing,
R u connecting to ur company network(domain) thru this line.If so, then no need of two different ISP for two m/c.That is, U have to connect the two m/c to the hub and one port of the hub should goes to ethernet of modem.Then u will be getting the ip addresses from ur company domain.
Or
No need to have two different ISP's.If u want,u can do that but u should have a another modem.

I hope this will be helpful.

Regds
Palani
Everything is Possible and Anything is Feasible if u try
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

She only want to be able to connect a laptop at the same time to the internet. So she need a hub and not a router.
What would be the simplest way to go about it.
Thanks
c'est la guerre
Sandeshp_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Joe,
Very simple answer.. Yes You can..

But for this, you have to use HUB or You can use a cross over cable with extra Ethernet card on your Desktop System.

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

thanks !
c'est la guerre