Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDS 2008, PXE problem with Marvell Yukon 88E8055

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

WDS 2008, PXE problem with Marvell Yukon 88E8055

Hi,
I have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S7210 which has a Marvell Yukon network controller, 88E8055 and Yukon PXE v5.17.2.3. I am trying to PXE boot this computer against a Windows server 2008 with WDS, but is does not work.
My server is a HP DL380G5 with an extra HP NC360T network card. Network team (Automatic) with four adapters. The computers are connected to a Cisco 3750E switch which is setup with an etherchannel and LACP. I have tested to use only one card in the team and upgraded to the latest Cisco IOS.

It takes about 30 minutes just to start loading WinPE and after 1 hour only 10% of the WIM file as been loaded.
If I manually set the port speed in the switch for the client to 100Mbit, then it works fine. Auto = 1000Mbit. It doesn’t work if I set the port speed to 1000Mbit either.

I have upgraded to the latest bios, but it does not matter.

Everything works fine with HP and Lenovo models which usually have Broadcom or Intel network controllers.

I have contacted Marvell and apparently there is a new PXE fw available, but this must be included in a BIOS update from Fujitsu so I have contacted them as well.

I have tested the computer against a Windows server 2003 with WDS and then it works without any problems (The same Cisco switch).

I set up a VMware machine (On a HP dc7800) and installed Windows Server 2008 with WDS (Same configuration).
When I connect a Fujitsu S7210 to this server everything works fine.

I have analyzed the traffic between the Fujitsu S7210 and my ordinary server. When the Boot.sdi file is transferred, I can see that the server sends 4 TFTP packets to the client and then the client response with an acknowledgement of 3 packets. Then the server sends 4 packets again and the client acknowledgement 3 packets.
When I analyze the traffic between the Fujitsu S7210 and the VMware machine the server sends 4 TFTP packets to the client and then the client response with an acknowledgement of 4 packets.

If I use another client (Lenovo, HP) and connect to my ordinary server the server sends 4 packets and receives acknowledgement of 4 packets and there´s no problem.

I don’t think this is just a Marvell problem, because it works when I connect to my VMware machine.
Maybe a combination of this Marvell network controller on the client side and HP network cards on the server side?

Regards,
Mattias