1748119 Members
3439 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows could not configure one or more system components

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Windows could not configure one or more system components

I'm posting this because I'm a member, and our network engineer is not. He's researching other avenues. I'm hoping one of you will have an answer or idea.

Our network engineer is attemping to upgrade a Proliant DL380G5 running Server 2003 R2 to Server 2008 Standard. The upgrade takes over an hour to run, and at the end, throws this error:

"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."

The ONLY reference he's been able to find that's an exact match for that error is for Vista:

"Symptom:

When you try to upgrade Windows Vista to a more advanced version of Windows Vista, you may receive the following error message:

Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation.

For example, you may receive this error message when you try to upgrade Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate.

Cause:

This problem occurs because some features of Windows Vista cannot be migrated to the upgraded version of Windows Vista.

Resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type Programs and Features in the Start Search box, and then click Programs and Features in the Programs list.
2. Under Tasks, click Turn Windows features on or off.

If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted for confirmation, click Continue.

3. Click to clear the check boxes of the following features:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0\XPS Viewer
Remote Differential Compression
Window DFS Replication Service

4. Upgrade Windows Vista to a more advanced version, and then click to select the check boxes that you clicked to clear in step 3."

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat
2 REPLIES 2
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows could not configure one or more system components

I left out that the Proliant DL380G5 server is 64 bit.

Pat
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows could not configure one or more system components

No replies. Network Engineer ended up doing a clean install of Server 2008 from scratch.

Pat