4888 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows Product Key

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carrie Thompson

Windows Product Key

My machine is currently out of warranty so I am unable to get the answer from Technical Support, but...how do I go about getting a product key for my machine? It came loaded with windows 98 many years ago and the sticker with that information has since worn off. Where's a girl to go to get herself a product key?
10 REPLIES 10
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows Product Key

Hi Carrie,
If you do have the original licence you can use any key you want to my knowlidge, just search with www.google.com for a key, but you can only do this if you have an original licence.
There is no support for win98 anymore, so I do not hink contacting Microsoft has any use. I also never heared that HP can give you a new key.

HTH,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Carrie:
What are you trying to install or reinstall.If you are reinstalling your original 98 it should not require a product key. If you are trying to install new software, the product key should be on the cd install case.
John
Carrie Thompson

John-
It's been a while since I've done this so my memory is failing me. Eventually I'm going to need to QuickRestore my machine and I thought I remember in the past that i've needed that product key as part of the reinstall process. Now, I have since upgraded to Windows 2000 so I'm having trouble remembering what the order of events is for the process. Don't I have to have proof of the original 98 version before I can install my Upgrade to 2000 (which I have an install disk and product key for).
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Carrie
I would have thought it was listed on the cover of the CD.
You have not shown the number of your computer which might help.
Hopefully you will remember where you found it last time.
Most people here on the forum do not recommend using the upgrade versions and recommend a clean install.
best wishes
John
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Carrie,

To get the Product Key in Win98, do the following:

Start>Run>type regedit
explore to the following key and you'll see the Product ID:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion

The key is: ProductKey "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

Please do not abuse this instructions for legal activities. However, in Windows 2000 and later versions, the Product Key is encrypted.

Hope this help
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Typ'O

Please do not abuse this instructions for illegal activities. However, in Windows 2000 and later versions, the Product Key is encrypted.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Dexter Filmore
Honored Contributor

Here's a handy tool you can use:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

It is not a key generator - it will tell you the product keys that were used to install windows and office on your computer.
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Carrie,
If you installing from a win2000 upgrade CD you can just install it like an full 2000 version, the only difference is that during setup it will ask you to put in a CD of an OS that is allowed to be upgraded (NT4,95,98,ME) Put in the CD when asked, hit enter and the setup will continue, put in your win2000 cd in again and continue setup.

HTH,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Carrie Thompson

Thank you all for your help. All of this will come in most handy. And don't worry Latif...there's no illegal intent afoot!