2441 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

another node become part of the cluster

IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

another node become part of the cluster

Hi,
I don't understand why when I configure another server for my test environment, it become part of my existing cluster. When I do show cluster from the existing cluster nodes, it is appearing as one of the member

SICAMT | VMS V7.3 | BRK_NON

But when I should cluster to inside SICAMT, it says it is not part of the cluster.

Questions:

1. How can I remove the SICAMT from existing cluster?
2. Why SICAMT become a member of the existing cluster even it was not configure to be a member cluster?

THanks.
7 REPLIES 7
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: another node become part of the cluster

Ronald,

"BRK_NON" means the node WAS a cluster member at some time, but is not anymore.

>1. How can I remove the SICAMT from existing cluster?

It has already been removed. If you mean remove the entry from the SHOW CLUSTER display, the only way is to remboot ALL the cluster nodes that have ever "seen" the node.

Please log a case with your local Customer Support Centre if you want to get deeper analysis.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ronald,

depending on your cluster interconnect (LAN or CI/DSSI), node SICAMT has probably temporarily been a member of your cluster, while you were setting up this test system. Boot from a copy of the cluster system disk ? Boot with VAXCLUSTER .NE.0 and access to the cluster interconnect ?

Volker.
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Volker,
I actually vote from a system disk where it was a member of a cluster before.

regards,
ronald
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Ronald

I asssume, that You built your testenvironment from a Backup of the systemdisk of the existing Cluster. To avoid, that they build a cluster, you shold follow the recommendations of volker and disable the LAN Cluster interconnect.

AND.... one of the most important thing is, to change the Cluster Group and the Cluster Password.

MC SYSMAN
set env/cl
conf set cluster/group=x/password=z

After this you must reboot the machines.

If you build two clusters from same Backup (by changing names and addresses of the nodes in the second cluster) and they see each other on the lan, they will build a single cluster as long as the Cluster Group and password are same.
Be carefull, because there is the possibility for a partitioned Cluster

Regards

Heinz
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ronald,

if you cloned the cluster system disk for your test system, use the following steps to prevent the SICAMT system to join your other cluster:

$ MC SYSMAN
SYSMAN> CONFIG SHOW CLUSTER
Node SICAMT: Cluster group number: xx
Multicast address: AB-00-04-01-aa-bb
SYSMAN> CONFIG SET CLUSTER/GROUP=yy/PASS=something
SYSMAN> EXIT

Use a new group number yy, which is UNIQUE on your LAN. Make sure no other cluster on your LAN is using that cluster group number.

You can also disable cluster communication on node SICAMT by setting VAXCLUSTER=0.

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Volker,

If I am not mistaken, that would already be too late in the boot sequence: the node HAS already joined!
The solution I see, is to boot -fl ,1
SYSBOOT>SET VAXCLUSTER=0
SYSBOOT>c
and then change SCSNODE, SCSSYSTEMID, DECnet params and/or tcpip-config, and @CLUSTER_CONFIG
(alternately some advanced trickery to change cluster_number, expected_votes, SCSparams, and some more cluster-related stuff; but if that option was within reach, the question would probably not have been asked)

The idea is _NOT_ to complete booting off the cloned system disk.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jan,

sure. You need to do these operations before PLUGGING IN the network cable !

Volker.