1753379 Members
4948 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cloning VM server

arkrishna
Occasional Contributor

Cloning VM server

Can we create a clone of on VM Server , and copy it onto another VM Server.

What would be taken into consideration, to do so.

Thanks in Advance
Ramakrishna
3 REPLIES 3
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: Cloning VM server

arkrishna,

to begin with:

WELCOME to the VMS forum.

Some more info, please:
Is this Vax, Alpha, or IA64?
What version?
Is this to be an exact clone (NEVER to be up simultaniously) or do you intend it to have different IDs?
Is this clustered, or not? If so, how homogeneous?

Or... is this maybe NOT VMS related?

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

arkrishna,

There recently was a very similar thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1211743

Work through it, and most of your questions will get an answer.

Should you still want help with specific details, please come out with specific questions.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd assume that this question is involving products of the EMC subsidiary VMware and specifically one of its virtual machine products -- such as as its VMware Server package; that this is not a question specific to the HP OpenVMS environment.

And for completeness, OpenVMS does not operate on VMware or with Xen, and no virtual machines are presently available that are compatible with OpenVMS. (Emulators are available for certain architectures compatible with OpenVMS. But no classic x86-class virtual machine environment is yet available for use with OpenVMS. HPIVM will likely be the first, but that's not yet supported AFAIK.)

If this is one of the VMware products centrally involved here, you might try the http://www.vmware.com/support/ support area.

If this is OpenVMS that's being cloned, then yes, do see the other discussion cited. It's not easy to perform a "hot" clone of OpenVMS, and there are considerations. Shutting down and using BACKUP /IMAGE to clone the OpenVMS system disk is easy and can work reliably, though there are steps required to change the node name and the various host network addresses and settings should you need to boot the active environment and the clone onto the same network. If you are cloning OpenVMS, post some details here and I'll post up some pointers and some details around what you need to tweak here -- but as this initially looks to be a VMware clone and not an OpenVMS clone...