7373 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cluster error

shehan_1

cluster error

HI
can anybody help regarding this issue.
im using openvms 7.3-2.with alpha ds10 servers,cluster with two nodes .when i reboot the cluster it giving me the following error and it wont load futher more its stucks.
"%susinit-i-waiting to form or join an openvms cluster" so could any body can help me
13 REPLIES 13
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: cluster error

shenan,
Welcome to the VMS forum.
A number of things can be wrong here.
The system parameters, VOTES, EXPECTED_VOTES, DISK_QUORUM, et alia can have the wrong value(s).
The file SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE]CLUSTER_AUTHORIZE.DAT can be corrupt.
Someone my have changed the cluster number and/or password.
Furthermore, since only 2 nodes are involved here, the connectivity between the two can be an issue.
So, a lot of guesses, and no real answer yet.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
shehan_1

ok,the cluster wont boot up.i do i have to
install the os??
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

How can you boot if you don't have the os installed ???

Or 1) you boot both members 2) you boot converstaional and set the votes to a high value 3) replace the quorum disk and retry.

I suspect that your quorum disk is dead and 1 node alone will not be able to form the cluster.

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

To form a cluster, you'll need to adjust VOTES and EXPECTED_VOTES; these two define wether a system will actually boot or wait until suficient quorum is available. If improperly set, you may encounter problems like this.

First of all: give it some time; there are a few system parameters involved, actually time-out values in this respect (Sorry, don't know them by heart).
In your case (assuming you have just these two nodes), either start one machine, when it get to this point, start the other. If all is properly dimensioned, both sustem would now contunue the boot sequence.
Or perform a conversational boot on one; as has been stated by others, you can change the parameters in that case.

There is a way to force quorum from the console: Do CTRL-P when the system is waiting, so you get to the console. Then enter

>>> dep sirr c
>>> cont
IPC> q
IPC> ^z

but this is VERY LOW LEVEL and I don't know if this will work in your situation.

In a two-node cluster, when you want either system continue to work while the other is down, you'll need an extra vote: a third machine, or a disk that is directly accessable by both nodes. It's NOT a requirement, but if missing, the cluster will freeze when one node is down. Except you fiddle with VOTES and EXPECTED_VOTES, but then you'll have one system prevail over the other; if that one fails, the other will freeze.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
shehan_1

ipc>^z command not working.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

shehan,

the IPC interrupt does NOT recalulate quorum, if the node was not a cluster member before. It does NOT help, if the node wants to join a cluster and fails.

Consider to boot the system conversationally and check VOTES, EXPECTED_VOTES, QDSKVOTES

Consider to obtain help from an experienced OpenVMS system manager.

Volker.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

shehan,

Has this cluster worked in the past or are you in the process of creating a cluster for the first time? If it worked in the past, what has changed?

Have you at least scanned "Guidelines for OpenVMS Cluster Configurations"

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/DOCUMENTATION/PDF/aa-q28lg-tk.PDF

and Chapter 8 of "HP OpenVMS System Manager's Manual, Volume 2: Tuning, Monitoring, and Complex Systems"?

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/openvms/doc/AA-PV5NH-TK.PDF

How are the DS10 systems connected to each other, and the system disk (if a shared disk) or disks (if each has different system disk).?

Can you find a representative configuration that is similar to yours in the "Guidelines for OpenVMS Cluster Configurations"?

Do you have a quorum disk? Do you know what a quorum disk is?

It is hard to know what your level of experience is since this is your first post.

Jon
it depends
shehan_1

Hi jon
this system was configure by myself earlier.this is in our text bed.each DS10 are connected each other buy SCSI cables ,and it has a shared storage .yes there is a quorum disk.now the system wont go futher more
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

shehan,

do these systems have any other communication medium attached such as ethernet and what is your shared storage ? are your boot disks local or on the shared storage ?