1754402 Members
3316 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting and using LJ2100tn

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Connecting and using LJ2100tn

I _KNOW_ it'll be in some manual(s), but a quick hint would greatly be appreciated.

I have a Laserjet 2100tn in the network that I use to print to from PC's (speed printing, compared to inkjet ;-)).
From VMS, I can print plain ASCII in 80 character format using the TELNET symbiont. But I know this printer can do more than that (Landscape, graphical) AND that I need to set up a queue with other drivers: one for PCL/6 and one for PostScript (driver is installed, according the fact sheet).

I do NOT ask for a complete solution, just some hints and links to documentation, since setting this up seems quite complicated. And becxause there seem to be some issues using this type of printer, some words of advice and experiences (apart from "Don't use this printer". It might not be the best choice, I know, but that became clear AFTER I got it.)

(If someone knows how to configure it (by PC or from VMS), take a look in the B&W printing forum, that's where I posted a question on that issue)

Thanks in advance.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
2 REPLIES 2
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting and using LJ2100tn

have you tried using DCPS to talk to the printer? No extra licence required.
V2.3 says it supports "HP LaserJet 2100 Series"

Re: Connecting and using LJ2100tn

Ian,
Not yet, since it's unclear what type of queue is to be set up. The manuals talk about a LPD-queue (Unix like - and I would like to avoid that) and about DCPS as a driver. But is that really required?
(I already said that I _should_ consult the manuals. Be sure: I did but didn't get the right understanding, so I got stuck)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager