3616 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Convert DDIF files to other formats

Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Convert DDIF files to other formats

Hi Folks,

Are there any free tools available which will convert some of the seemingly obscure (and old) VMS file formats into something PC/Windows friendly?

I'm especially interested in a .DDIF to .PNG (or any other graphics format) as well as a means of converting DecDocument and Runoff files into HTML. WASD has a DecDocument to HTML tool available but this stumbles on some of the directives in the files I have.

Hope you can help

cheers

Brian
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Convert DDIF files to other formats

Never used it but convert/doc/format
allows to convert it to ps. Then you can use ghostscript to convert it to other formats.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

This is my code to convert ps to PNG. In the PS I have graphs of Performance Advisor.

$ create mov.ps
-40 -200 translate
$ write com2 "$ mc SYS$COMMON:[GS.BIN]GS.EXE_AXP",-
" ""-sOutputFile=",prefix,"_",nam,".png""",-
" ""-sDEVICE=png256""", -
" ""-dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=525""",-
" ""-dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=475""",-
" ""-dNOPAUSE"""," ""-q"" mov.ps ",prefix,"_",nam,".ps"
$ write com2 "$! delete/nolog/noconf ",prefix,"_",nam,".ps.*"

Wim
Wim
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

DECDocument can create HTML output by itself, at least the version here: V3.3

I use the command e.g.
$ document/content BAX software html

regards Kalle
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The DDIF format is still around and current DECwindows includes a set of CDA converters and (most of) the CONVERT /DOCUMENT stuff you might need.

There's also a CONVERT /DOCUMENT tool on the Freeware that converts from various DDIF formats into (mostly) RTF, as well as the CDA converter library. ("Mostly" RTF, as RTF has been somewhat of a moving target.) Look for DECWRITE and CDA and RTF* and such using the following Google site: keyword:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Amvb.saic.com+ddif+rtf&btnG=Google+Search

There are also tools that do graphics conversions, if that's the DDIF you have.

"Current" DECdocument itself does provide HTML converters (circa 3.3g or so), though these can involve some work on the SDML source text. That's how the OpenVMS FAQ got converted into HTML.

I'm not aware of anything that convert from the SDML format directly to DocBook XML or to something more current for use with the OpenVMS FAQ, though I've been (occasionally) looking for that for a while now. Might end up having to write a tool to convert the SDML source for the FAQ, or possibly working from the intermediate TeX. No Windows locally, so don't expect that to happen.
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

see http://www.jafsoft.com/asctohtm/
I have used asc2htm to convert runoff output to html files (and the vms version is free) it will work with any text files that have a consistent format.
Phil