108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Having trouble creating new VMS Print Queue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Having trouble creating new VMS Print Queue

I am running OpenVMS 7.3-2 -- I have been able to create these queues in the past without any issue at all until today. After I tried to init the queue for the and I got this message "%JBC-I-QUENOTMOD, modifications not made to running queue" The queue hasn't been initialized yet at this point, so it couldn't be running.

What's wrong with this picture??

I can really use the help.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge
6 REPLIES 6
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Re: Having trouble creating new VMS Print Queue

Jorge,

What EXACTLY did you type in.?
Is the queue name you are using a logical
that points to a queue that is running?
Please provide a log of the session.

Dave
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor
Solution

First, make sure there isn't a logical name that has the same name as the queue.

I.e. if the queue name is JORGE_LP, and you have a logical JORGE_LP that is defined as LINE_PRINTER, and LINE_PRINTER is a valid QUEUE name, you could get the results you are seeing.

Here's an example:

$ sho log abc
%SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name ABC
$ init/que abc/bat/start/on=sigma::
$ sho que abc
Batch queue ABC, idle, on SIGMA::
$ init/que abc/bat/start/on=sigma::
%JBC-I-QUENOTMOD, modifications not made to running queue
$ def new abc
$ init/que new/bat/start/on=sigma::
%JBC-I-QUENOTMOD, modifications not made to running queue
$

If that isn't the problem, then:

When are the queues being initialized? During startup or at some later time?
What message do you get when you do a show queue
What has changed since "the past" when you could create them, i.e. any new patches, O/S upgrade etc.

More details will get you better answers.
it depends
Martin Hughes
Regular Advisor

Looks like the queue is in fact started already, which is why you are getting this error. Perhaps the queue is autostart enabled?. Can you post the output for a SHOW QUEUE/FUL and provide some more details regarding the sequence of events led you to this point?.
For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels, each delved into a hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall was a gate. (J.R.R. Tolkien). Quote stolen from VAX/VMS IDSM 5.2
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd typically initialize (create) the queue only once, and would then start it at reboot. I'd certainly consider keeping the initialization commands around if I needed to rebuild the queues.

It is certainly feasible to set the queue manager to autostart the queues.

INITIALIZE/QUEUE creates the queue, while INITIALIZE/QUEUE/START both creates and initializes the queue.

If the queue was not set to autostart or was otherwise stopped, you can START /QUEUE the queue.

To set the queues to autostart, you can use the ENABLE AUTOSTART /QUEUES command.

I'd also tend to use the /ON command, rather than defaulting the node name.

At the queue level, the SHOW QUEUE /FULL command will show if autostart is enabled.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

The problem I was having seem no longer a problem after I logged off and logged back in. I don't know where or what environment I was in that I couldn't do what I've been able to do for years.

Thanks!!

Jorge
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

No problem after all.