2829 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to report bugs related to VMS 8.1?

Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

How to report bugs related to VMS 8.1?

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum, so pardon me if already asked.
But, where can I find (maybe within HP) a channel to report bugs (oddities) we find in the VMS 8.1 evaluation release for Itanium?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Kris G.G. Clippeleyr (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
9 REPLIES 9
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: How to report bugs related to VMS 8.1?

Ha Kris,

eindelijk je weg gevonden???

(Sorry guys, yet another one I happen to know....)

With the EAK/SDK you will no doubt have some contact within HP for this? Otherwise, you might try to submit it through Openvms.org bug forum, or this one.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Willem,

Indeed found my way up here.
Will try the contacts we have in Brussels (though there're somewhat limited regarding VMS on the IA64)

Thanx for the reply.

Kris G.G. Clippeleyr (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Although OpenVMS I64 V8.1 is not an officially supported release, we will attempt to answer customer questions as best we can. In addition, we are interested in any and all feedback that customers are willing to provide. To facilitate this, we have set up an "Ask the Wizard" style web site for customers to ask questions:

<>

And, as someone else said, you could also ask right here - this forum seems to be working out very well.

Regards,

Brad McCusker
OpenVMS Engineering
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Ha die Kris.

Like Willem said: "welkom in dit forum!"

-- Kris is Belgian, but from the Dutch-speaking half --

Begins to look like (as Martin already noted) Dutch might be getting the prefered language of this forum! :-)

(The rest of you: Don't worry, most of us prefer US-English when discussing IT subjects).

Kris, are you coming to Muenchen early may?

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi Brad,

Thanx for the pointer. Nice to hear from you again.

Hi Jan,

If noticed you've been active in this forum. Keep it up. And, no I won't be going to Munich. Too busy, dozn here.

Greetz,

Kris

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Kris,

Welkom! (Hey, my first Duch word!)

There is actually a newsgroup devoted to such
issues vmsnet.sdk.openvms.fieldtest . Not very much traffic, but it seems Hoff is at least lurking there.

Greetings, Martin
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Brad,

>Although OpenVMS I64 V8.1 is not an officially supported release...

You really mean 8.1 is "not an officially supported release"???

What ARE we testing for! I _know_ it's just 'fieldtest' , not production.
But because of that status, there will be at least SOME sort of official communication channel for reporting, or do you just expect that it will work flawlessly? What if still some issue came up during test - eventually a BIG flaw. If there is NO channel, where to drop the issue. IMHO, it would be at some place at HP where issues could be reported and shown to the community (A lot of OpenSource sites to it that way. No doubt you know Bugzilla!...)

BTW: The same applies to "official" (that is: production) releases. If you have no support contract (like a lot of companies) it is IMPOSSIBLE to drop the issue at HP - even _without_ a request for help!

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Willem,

You wrote: "I _know_ it's just 'fieldtest' , not production".

That is actually not quite correct. It is not actually a field test, it is an "evaluation release". We did not want to lose a lot of time supporting a release that was not up to typical standards, yet, we wanted to make the release available for those that wanted to start porting their applications, or otherwise checking it out.

The agreement for use of V8.1 is described here: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvmsi64/pre-release-agreement.html

Section 8 on that page describes the support (or lack thereof).

But, regardless, I understand your point. Please understand that the situation is not that we are not taking feedback. There are many, many partners that do have formal channels for support and feedback, and we are getting feedback and bug reports from them. And there are people who do not have those formal channels who are still communicating with us through various forums and even direct e-mail.

OpenVMS V8.2 will have a typical field test period during which customers will be invited to be field test sites, just as in past field tests, so, hopefully we'll get plenty of feedback at that time, and, it will be more reasonable to offer the type of support and response our customers have come to expect during a field test.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Guys,

With the advent of 8.2, and since we're now an official field test site for 8.2, I'm closing this thread.

Thanx 4 all responses.

Kris