108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSG80 specs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

HSG80 specs

Does anyone knows where I can find the specs of HSG80 ? I'm thinking of how many IO/sec, thruput etc and this also for dual controller config.

Wim
Wim
16 REPLIES 16
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: HSG80 specs

Wim,

maybe you better ask that in the SAN forum...

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Some data is in the specifications:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10545_div/10545_div.html

It says: 'over 24K IOPs per controller pair'. Max through a pair of controllers is about 50 to 60 MegaBytes, if I recall correctly. Max writes to a disk mirror I have seen is about 10 to 15 MegaBytes.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Anyone an idea what the number of write IO/sec could be when the cache is full (sustained heavy load) ?

I see 5000 writes with blocksize 4 pages, thus 10 MB thruput.

Wim

Wim
John Koska
Advisor

I believe http://h18006.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/installation_guides/ek-sma34-an-a01.html will help you. View or download the PDF.

The application note speaks to the performance limits of various FC-Fabric components (Dual HSG-80 controllers performance of cached data and direct media in both IO/sec and MB/sec) for OpenVMS in Table 1.

:) jck
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Wim, we run dual HSG's with full mirrored cache, pretty much the setup you're talking about.

I've seen IO rates in 'MONI DISK' up to about 8000.

We currently have 4 shelves per pair, two in single bus mode, and two in split bus mode. Almost all of the bays are full (50+ disks), and we haven't seen the controllers flooding yet, even running 4 simultaneous data backups at the same time as doing a Dayend!

Rob.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

John, sorry but can't openb the PDF. Will try at home.

Robert,

We have peaks of 6000 WRITES and 1000 READS.
But all IO is done on 2 sites via FDDI shadowing, so there is an additional delay.

Did you look at the queue length ? And I don't mean asking 24 hours in TNG PA but asking an interval of 20 minutes or less. Then you see the real peaks (otherwise they are averaged in a bigger time interval, which is already 2 minutes in my test case).

Wim
Wim
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

We have odd peaks at a queue length of 20, but most of the time it's between 0 and 2.

Interval is 5 minute samples.

Rob.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

With 5 minutes it is normal. We see only 1 peak in an interval of 2 minutes.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

As I read the data :

1 disk can do maximum 12K IO because it passes thru 1 controller (thus 50% of 24K). But since most IOs contain more than 1 block, the controller thruput of 20 MB/sec is limitting the number of IO's (e.g. to about 2500 when IO size is 8K).

Has anyone a dual HSG in which you see thruput of near 40MB/sec or 1 disk thruput near 20 MB ?

Is a fiberchannel switch a limiting thing ?

Wim
Wim