New Discussion юеВ

Information about LJK software

SOLVED
Go to solution
mustafa_12
Frequent Advisor

Information about LJK software

Hi all,

In the scope of COBIT process, we have encountered NIST 800-53 documents that is written for OpenVMS. It contains a checklist that control various security parameters on the system. There is also a LJK Software which checks these controls automatically, AFAIK (I have read the .com file from www.ljk.com).

If there is anyone who has been using that product on the OpenVMS system, could you please send some informaion about it.

Isn't it possible to write all the controls in DCL and make it public? Because, in the sofware explanation it is written that all the controls can be done manually.

BR...
10 REPLIES 10
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Information about LJK software

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Can't download it but this could help in the admin of it.
http://csrc.nist.gov/sec-cert/download-800-53database.html

Yet another SOX ?

Wim
Wim
mustafa_12
Frequent Advisor

Dear Wim,

Actually, I had read over the pdf file and some other related documents from internet and more or less I know what it tries to establish.

However, instead of "what it does", I wonder "how it does" and is there anybody who manage to include some set of the controls in a DCL script. Because I do not want to re-invent the wheel.

If there is no such a person, I will try to make it up.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> Because I do not want to re-invent the wheel.

So talk to Larry Kilgallen!

>> If there is no such a person, I will try to make it up.

Be sure to estimate for the time it will take you to re-invent the wheel, prove that is is more or less round, and keep the tires inflated over the years. Be sure to have a good defense lined up in case you missed something or misinterpreted something.

Good luck!
Hein.

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

You have to tell us which controls you need.

Over here (bank) the SOX requirements are changing all the time.

I myself made a simple procedure to do sysuaf checks (to avoid that I have to do manual labour each time I get an audit).

The script is alive and requires freeware UAI.

See enclosure. Execute it without param to get the help.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Wim, can you add your procedure to dcl.openvms.org ?

What happens is that the auditors interpretation of the requirements of SOX change with time and different auditors have different interpretations.

The NIST 800-53 documents are more specific which helps. These things can be checked manually but this is tedious and error prone. It is possible to write your own but you have to balance the time (cost) taken to do that and maintain the result with buying in software from elsewhere (LJK being one example).

Ian,

I will when I passed the audit (not that we comply but that we have the possibility of checking the violations).

Wim
Wim
Larry Kilgallen

Mustafa wrote:

Isn't it possible to write all the controls in DCL and make it public? Because, in the sofware explanation it is written that all the controls can be done manually.
=====================

Not exactly. Certain controls can be measured manually, but for others it says things like:

$ !
$ ! For the DISK facility scripting language approaches are inadequate
$ ! and it is necessary to use an actual compiled language program to
$ ! test a complete VMS system in an acceptable amount of time.
$ !

The reason we released our interpretation of 800-53 to the public is that we realize that when we sell an LJK/Security license the value we provide is not the list itself (which anyone could create by carefully reading 800-53) but rather:

1. An efficient implementation to measure items on the list in a flexible fashion.

2. Ongoing support to add controls as standards change and VMS changes. Note that Revision 1 to 800-53 is due to be released in the next few months, as is VMS V8.3.

=====================
But Mustafa also wrote:

In the scope of COBIT process,
=====================

The business of ready-to-use policies based on an outside authority is a recent addition to LJK/Security. We have a series of policies based on 800-53 since it is the most specific policy around for application to operating systems.

We have two other policy sources currently planned, based on what we see as market demand, but neither of them is COBIT. Of course we would write a COBIT policy given a sufficiently large order, but...

...it is important to remember that there is nothing in the policy document that an LJK/Security user cannot write for themselves. The value we provide with the product is the efficient and secure testing of the policy. So you could write a COBIT policy (I presume, not having read COBIT) to use with LJK/Security.

But some rule sets from outside authorities lend themselves to automated testing better than others. In the US, the SOX, HIPPA and GLB rules are quite fuzzy regarding application to operating systems. Some from outside the US prefer the ISO (formerly BSI) standards, which started off quite weak but were made stronger once the authors got a look at 800-53.

=====================
For anyone who thinks they are going to write their own tool to measure the security configuration of a VMS system against 800-53 or a similarly specific standard, I would suggest they start with the hard stuff first, rather than being deluded by how easy it is to do the easy stuff. For your first effort, test

(DISK,FILEPROT,PERCENTHI)

which measures the percentage of users on the system who can access a file, in each of the 5 access modes allowed for files, for each file on each disk on the system. You are not going to accomplish that using DCL command procedures and have the first execution run to completion before your retirement date !

mustafa_12
Frequent Advisor

Hi Larry,

First of all, I really thank you for that you allowed your time to reply to our comments.

Before I sent the original post, I had hesitated about how reasonable to ask such a question. My first desicion was not to ask. Later, however, I came to a point that I should ask it in order to learn if anybody else encounter and need the same thing as myself.

I have realized that few people (Wim for instance) paddled their own canoe. My wish was to learn how it is possible to write the control program if it is done. And also share ideas how to build it up.

I know the difficulties in software development. But, maybe a group of people come together and write a software for all or a big subset of 800-53 controls and make it public in openvms.org or sourceforge (GPL). I would gratefully be enrolled in such a group.