1752733 Members
5630 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Java to OpenVMS Mailbox

OwensJ
Advisor

This was a question I had while thinking about using it as a file. If they would be "thread-safe". I think based on the fact that several web-requests could come in that may try to open and write to the same mailbox at the same time, it would be much safer to go the socket route.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Yes you can open the mailbox from multiple streams. The "records" will be processed in order of receipt.

Dan
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

> If they would be "thread-safe".

Mailboxes are definitely thread safe in the sense that multiple threads cannot write to a mailbox "at the same time" because mailboxes are robustly synchronised at the operating system level. One thread will always "win" the race.

As others have mentioned, mailbox I/O is, by default, end-to-end synchronous. That is, the writer will wait for the message to be read before proceeding. This may have an effect on threading, as a thread may block on a mailbox write. If that prevents another thread from reading the mailbox, you could have a deadlock (depends on your threading mechanism being capable of switching threads during an OS level I/O stall).

You may not have control over mailbox read behaviour when do a device independent/blind I/O. If you access a mailbox explicitly, you can do asynch I/O.
A crucible of informative mistakes
OwensJ
Advisor

All good to know, thank you!
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The reason I mentioned stream i/o is, having used java.io.BufferedInputStream for Socket i/o, I wasn't sure the exact behaviour the OP was expecting with a JAVA program writing/streaming to a mailbox, expecially if he intented to have multiple simultaneous writers, or messages larger than the mailbox size.

For those unaware of the streaming possibilities of the VMS Mailbox may I suggest you look up the io$m_stream modifier at: -
http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64os/opsys/vmsos84/BA554_90018/ch04s03.html#mbx-read-func

For those worried about blocking on a write there is always the io$m_now and io$m_norswait modifiers.

If this is all happening on the same node then I would use Mailboxes over Sockets but you'd want to be "listening" on a single control mailbox for connection requests that would include the connect/user/process specific mailbox device name that your server must connect back to to complete the handshake. How JAVA would call a VMS system service directly to creates a mailbox, I know not. (But there seems to be stuff in the FAQ http://www.compaq.com/java/faq/ovms.html)

Maybe the OS implementation-specific bits of other classes like Pipe do something useful? Or maybe Sockets are just easier and more transparent/generic after all?

Cheers Richard Maher
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

>For those unaware of the streaming possibilities
>of the VMS Mailbox may I suggest you look up the io$m_stream modifier

which only applies to reads, not writes. You can do partial stream emulation by reading less than a full record at a time, but writes always introduce a record boundary. For the OP that may not be a problem as long as he always writes a complete message and makes sure it fits within the mailbox buffer. He might have to do a flush between writes depending on how the Java classes are implemented.
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

>>For those unaware of the streaming possibilities
>>of the VMS Mailbox may I suggest you look up the io$m_stream modifier
>
>which only applies to reads, not writes.

Which is why I gave the following direct link to "4.3.1 Read": -
http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64os/opsys/vmsos84/BA554_90018/ch04s03.html#mbx-read-func

> You can do partial stream emulation by
> reading less than a full record at a time,

No! As is clearly explained in Figure 4-2 in the explicit refernce that I went to the trouble of providing, one can clearly see that a streaming read can read any number of records (and/or part there off) in a single $qio read without loss of residue.

> but writes always introduce a record
> boundary.

So what?

> For the OP that may not be a problem as
> long as he always writes a complete
> message and makes sure it fits within the
> mailbox buffer.

Quite. As I said "For the OP it may be a problem if . . ."

> He might have to do a flush between writes

Might?

> depending on how the Java classes are
> implemented.

I believe an implementer of the stream i/o interface has to "as a minimum" provide single-byte i/o. God bless Unix.

Regards Richard Maher
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

>>>For those unaware of the streaming possibilities
>>>of the VMS Mailbox may I suggest you look up the io$m_stream modifier
>>
>>which only applies to reads, not writes.

>Which is why I gave the following direct link to "4.3.1 Read": -
>http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64os/opsys/vmsos84/BA554_90018/ch04s03.html#m
bx-read-func

I'm familiar with the article.

>> You can do partial stream emulation by
>> reading less than a full record at a time,

>No! As is clearly explained in Figure 4-2 in the explicit
>refernce that I went to the trouble of providing, one can
>clearly see that a streaming read can read any number of
>records (and/or part there off) in a single $qio read
>without loss of residue.

You seem to be going out of your way to disagree with me while saying essentially the same thing I said. The number of complete records you get is irrelevant; that works fine, even without IO$M_STREAM. It's what happens when you run out of buffer before you get to the end of the final (possibly only) record; that's where IO$M_STREAM allows you to get "less than a full record at a time" (my words) or "and/or part thereof in a single $qio" (your words) without introducing a spurious record boundary.

>> but writes always introduce a record
>> boundary.

>So what?

Because anyone doing stream I/O through mailboxes (such as anyone using pipe() in the CRTL) will eventually be bitten by this.