108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: License question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Raven (UK)
Frequent Advisor

License question

We have the need to purchase a DVNETEXT license for a ES45 openVMS 7.3-2 cluster.
I have been told by the project managers , that they are having issues trying to work out what the license now comes part of.
Being told it was once included in the NAS bundle and now no longer is included and is part of another bundle ?
Has anyone else recently purchased a DVNETEXT license recently ?

8 REPLIES 8
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your product managers have arguably made an error in their approach; they're trying to do HP's job here.

AFAIK, DECnet extended function license DVNETEXT is ordered as DVNETEXT.

AFAIK, It's available as a separate product. (It's also somewhat inexplicably separately packaged over in the OpenVMS I64 line; it would seem to fit as a component of an upper-end Operating Environment package over there.)

If you want to do HP's job here - and I would not recommend that - then review the SPD for DECnet for the information and order numbers.

While it is true that having some background information available and can be useful if you encounter an HP rep that is unfamiliar with the product line, given this is pre-sales, I'd get the HP pree-sales folks or an ambassador involved and see what sort of options and packages and such can be available. The stuff that you won't be able to find from any of the published information.

It is a little odd to be recommending an ambassador for what I'd certainly expect would be an on-line purchase with an automatically-issued kit, but it does appear that HP has not embraced a web storefront model for OpenVMS products and parts. Which means they're expecting you to talk to pre-sales here.
Kevin Raven (UK)
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
I will push the project managers in question towards our HP account manager and let them sort it between them from that stage.

I will pass on the info about it still being a seperate product license and not bundled for Alpha OpenVMS.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Raven,
You can check the NAS bundles yourself.

$ SEARCH SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL_LMFGROUPS.COM DVNETEXT

On my Alpha V8.3 system it matches NET-APP-SUP-200, NET-APP-SUP-300 and NET-APP-SUP-400.

Good luck finding anyone in HP who remembers how this stuff works!
A crucible of informative mistakes
Hoff
Honored Contributor

AFAIK, NAS got retired eons ago.

Tather than looking at the raw files underneath NAS, you'll want to check the NAS SPD to see what's officially part of the NAS level you have. IIRC, there can be cases where the licenses you can find via SEARCH and the list of products in the SPD might not line up, and the SPD is (was?) the formal statement.
Kevin Raven (UK)
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the response.
I get the feeling that OpenVMS is very mush end of life now at HP.

I have told the project manager in question to contact our HP account manager and request presales support.
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

DVNETEXT is generally an additional licence. DVNETEND is generally the bundled licence. Your best bet is to talk to the local HP OpenVMS Ambassador(s) first to get the correct part number and list pricing, then go to your reseller for pricing.

According to the SPD (http://docs.hp.com/en/12704/SPDDECnetPhase4AlphaI64V83.pdf) it's QL-MTGAx-AA, where "x" is the system type. The ES45 is a workgroup class system.

Out of interest - do you have a good reason to need DVNETEXT? Depending what you're doing you might find that Phase V does what you need for the price of a normal end system licence.

If these are 2nd user systems, do be careful about getting all the licence transfer stuff done properly. There's information about what can and cannot be transferred at the software licencing part of HP's web site: http://licensing.hp.com/slm/swl/view.slm?page=index

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Kevin Raven (UK)
Frequent Advisor

Colin,
Thanks for the reply.
The system in question is a test system.
You see we have production - Test - Performance Test - Development test ....
All rigs are 2 node OpenVMS clusters , using memory channel. Hardware is ES45.
All these systems were upgraded from 4100 recently and license moved to the ES45.
This license is for an additional test rig.

We are stuck with DECNET Phase IV.
To convert would be a project , with lots of testing and take months.
The cost would far exceed the cost of any savings on Lics.

Most of our OpenVMS systems are in maintenance only. Until we go to the new world of lowercase :-)

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

There is still expertise in OpenVMS licensing at HP UK Pre-Sales