1755254 Members
5447 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lprsetup parameters to print to HP Laserjet

timpckt
Occasional Advisor

lprsetup parameters to print to HP Laserjet

I need to print from OpenVms 7.2-1 on an alpha to Windows hosted printers (normaly HP Laserjets)

Using lprsetup I can create the queue and successfully print to a PDFwriter printer queue, on a Windows 2000 server, from both OpenVms and from a Windows 2000 client. So the basic setup works !!

When printing to a HP Laserjet 1012 (cheap USB printer being used a proof of concept) the prints go on the vms queue and then disappear.

The only way I can get a printout from a Windows client is by using the binary command line option.

I have tried all the advanced printing options on the Windows laser setup (RAW, IMP, TEXT etc type input formats but no improvement)

Looking at what other people have found, it would seem that I have to give the lprsetup some additional parameters that send it to the Windows print queue with the correct attributes (printcap in UNIX terms)

... an ideas or suggestions ?

I am a vms admin newbie, having used the vax for many years, now I have to take on an admin role...Help

33 REPLIES 33
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: lprsetup parameters to print to HP Laserjet

Mhm,
if you will print from OpenVms on a printer que served by windows 9x or win2k or winxp you have two choices:
a) create a client lpd queue on vms and configure server queue on win;
b) use server process pwprint on windows and client software on vms.
In 1.st case you have already created a client queue on vms but, perhaps, you haven't configured a server queue on windows.
However, I don't hint you use of lpr/lpd because windows doesn't accept neither control code neither line over 80 chars.
In 2.nd case you must buy pathwork32 and then install printer service on PC.
I used both solution and I prefer pwprint.
Now I'm searching my documentation about both solution, so I'll post more detailed info.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

I assume you have setup a "remote" queue using lprsetup, right ?

In that case you need to check the parameters "rm" and "rp" in the printcapfile. (use lprsetup option "view")

:rm=ipadress or hostname of the PC:\
:rp=printershare on the PC:\

If you use ipadress make sure there is an
entry in the hosttable. LPD makes a hostlookup.
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

One more thing......
Try "pausing" the PC-queue and then print
from VMS again. Does the job end up in the
PC-queue ??
timpckt
Occasional Advisor

sorry, i didnt make it completely clear in my question

using lprsetup i have successfully created a queue that prints to a Windows hosted printer (a PDFwriter printer) this queue works... i can print from the vax, the job appears on the vax queue and then appears on the lpr queue and the pdf file appears on the windows PC...great !!

thus proving that the rp and rm entries are correct to access a remote queue. i had to make sure the there was an entry in the host file and the windows share name was in the same case as the rp entry. i managed to work that much out myself, then i go and try it with a real printer and it doesnt work... thus grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

the help i am after is that this does not work for a hp laserjet although it is setup the same as the pdfwriter printer.

also i found that the laserjet will not work when printing using the windows lpr command unless i specify the "-ol" binary command line option. how do i do the same on the vax ?

in the lprsetup you can provide a number of optional parameters that ,i think, are sent to the remote printer.

other people must print from a vax to a windows hosted hp laserjet printer... did they get the lpr method to work ?

if so, did they use optional parameters or change the printer setup...HELP

thanks for the suggestion of using pathworks, i do not know anything about that product. our printing needs are very simple, just text reports and i am hoping that the lpr choice is the simple solution

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

I'm a bit rusty regarding all parameters,
but I think you want /PASSALL

There is a logical

$ DEFINE/SYS/EXEC TCPIP$LPD_STREAM_PASSALL TRUE

Then restart the queue. All logicals are red
by the sysmbiont at image-activation.

timpckt
Occasional Advisor

after pausing the queue on the win2000 server the vms submitted job DOES appear on the windows print queue

unfortunately a printout does not appear on the printer, it just disappears into the ether

as i said i tried changing the advanced printer settings on the printer within windows but none of them helped, even the setting the print processor to "text"
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Ok, if the PASSALL command or logical doesn't work. Pause the queue again and analyze the content of the received datafile on the PC.

/WINDOWS/System32/spool/something.SPL

every job gets two files .SPL and .SHD

timpckt
Occasional Advisor

the PASSAL logical did not do anything ;-(

looking the windows spooler files
the .spl files contain the printout text and look good
the .shd appear to be binary and are a different sizes compared to coming from the vax or windows for the same file

the files are being created even when the printout does not physicaly appear
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Is it plain text in the .SPL ?

Is the printer a PS or PCL or both.
What driver is used ?

try changing "rp" to another printqueue with a different printer. Do we have a specific queue problem ?