108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirrorset running at reduced mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Mirrorset running at reduced mode

My mirrorset (2 x146Gb) currently running at the reduced mode. I have the spare drive and I would like to replace it. Would you please help me with the CLI command for the HSG 80 controllers.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirrorset running at reduced mode

If there is no replacement policy for the mirrorset then

SET mirrorsetname REPLACE=diskname

where diskname is the spare disk you want to add.

the HSOF V7.3 CLI Ref guide is at
http://webserver-1.wescorp.com/wescorp-library/pdf-library/DEC-CPQ-HP/MANUALS-7/EK-CLI70-RM-B01.pdf
Solution

The HSG 80 will rebuild your mirrorset if a disk with enough capacity is available in the spare set.

The mirrorset needs to have a replacement policy set. Assuming that's done this is an example:

SHOW FAIL ! show the fail set
DEL FAIL DISK20400 ! remove the failed disk
ADD SPARE DISK20400 ! designate a hot spare

As a rule, I prefer to have disks always in the spare set. The controller(s) will grab a replacement disk in the event of a problem.

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Jorge,

First you have to delete de failset and than you can add the replaced disk (can be in the same slot) to the mirrorset again.

@Andy,

As a rule I never put disks in a spare set.
This because I use only JBODs and love to use OpenVMS HBVS. There is only one limitation to HBVS. This is there may only be max. 3 drives in one shadowset. I have a disaster tolerant system, two locations and want to have on both locations 2 drives in one shadowset. Problem! I solved this by two JBODs on the location where the tapeunit is (because of the backup and reducing shadowset) and a mirrorset on the other location. This mirrorset I monitor every hour using 'SET HOST/SCSI' (actualy I monitor all the four HSZ controller every hour using this tool) and if there is something wrong I mail it to the operators/managers. By not using sparesets I did label all the disks in the cabinet and I always know where to find my disks. If there is a defective drive I can find the disk directly (I don't need a tool or show commands to find it).

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

We use a mirrorset on both sides and shadowing between the 2 buildings.
You never know which site will get lost and Anton will lose data when there is 1 disk failure of the JBODs that is left.
When performance is not important we use a raid-5 that is shadowed to another raid-5 (to reduce # disks).

Wim
Wim