5110 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NFS - can not connect to export folder

IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: NFS - can not connect to export folder

Hi John,
Do you mean that mounting the export folder from VMS to WINDOWS needs pathworks or SAMBA? Can you pls elaborate more on this?
Up to now, I still have this issue. I can not MAP the export folder from VMS to WINDOWS. Any help will do.

regards,
ronald
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

MAP on VMS TCPIP (NFS) is not the same as MAP
on Windows. If MAP on Windows involves NFS,
then there's some hope for using NFS on the
VMS system to serve the files to Windows. If
MAP on Windows involves SMB sharing (as Mr.
Travell claims), then a non-NFS solution on
the VMS side would be needed (as he
suggested).

Alternatively, an NFS client on the Windows
side could be used. (I don't use NFS on
Windows, so I can't say how to get or use
that.)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ronald,

you need a NFS client on the Windows system to access a NFS share on the VMS system.

If you don't beleive this, just try a simple experiment. From the VMS system do:

$ TCPTRACE ip-address-of-your-windows-client

Then try the MAP command on your Windows system and look at the Port number shown in the TCPTRACE.

$ TCPIP SHOW SERVICE NFS shows you, that NFS server will be using port 2049.

What is the port number in the TCPTRACE as the result of your Windows MAP command ?

Volker.
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Based on Ronald's original note, where he says he is trying to connect via Windows MAP to \\10.83.146.76\statsapp\statsapp\emes\ it is obvious to me that he is trying to use two non-compatible capabilities to talk to each other.

\\10.83.146.76\statsapp\statsapp\emes\ is a windows SMB share mapping path string. These are a result of using either the windows command 'net use \\server\share' or windows explorer 'map network drive' menu item.
To use this feature on the PC requires either Advanced Server or Samba on VMS.

OTOH, Ronald has already setup NFS on VMS, so he may prefer to use an NFS client on the PC.
I am not familiar with NFS at either end, so I could not advise what to do.

In either case, the PC will not understand VMS file versioning, so the chosen product should handle that, and the VMS disk that the shared file system is mapped to should probably be ODS5 to minimise grief when the PC tries to put files there that do not correspond to the VMS file naming conventions.
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all who replied.

I think, I need PWIP installed (pathworks) in VMS for WINDOWS client to work.

I don't have PWIP installed right now.

regards,
ronald
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

The problem has not been resolved yet. I am waiting for PWIP to be installed and then I can proceed my testing again.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ronald,

PWIP (i.e. PWIPDRIVER) is a TCPIP component, which just needs to be configured. You're probably needing Advanced Server (Pathworks) to be installed to allow SMB access to your OpenVMS system.

Volker.
Ian Scrutton

Consider using "Windows Services for Unix" on the Windows client if you must connect to an NFS share on the VAX.