108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NOERLDUMP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Without knowing any more about your system, it seems that something has changed that is causing your system problems.

If you know that you haven't changed anything in the software or hardware configuration, then the most likely problem is some type of hardware failure.

When the system crashed before, did you investigate the cause (looking at crash dump). Because you don't have a SYS$ERRLOG.DMP, you may not have a complete record of errors that have occured.

Can you tell us more about your system? For example what model, memory installed, Operating system version, boot device, etc.

Can you boot from the OpenVMS istallation CD? That will verify that the basic CPU and Memory is working.

Without more info, we can't make any good guesses about what the problem is.

Do you have a service contract on the system? If so you should log a support call.

I just read your latest note "NOT FAMILIAR WITH OR HOW TO USE DCL COMMANDS."

If you aren't familiar with DCL commands, then you are going to need someone onsite.
it depends
John Travell
Valued Contributor

I *think* this is a little early for VMS startup debugging messages to be generated, you will probably have to go for full boot debugging.
At the the console prompt:
>>> b -fl 0,30000 dka0
(or whichever disk you normally boot from, and presuming this node boots from [sys0...]
(I hate to use the term 'root', that is so U***...)
The last (few) line(s) should give a major clue to why the boot is hanging, possibly blindingly obvious. In any case, capture the output in a text file and post it here.
JT:
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Charles

You migth run autogen utility to generate SYS$ERRLOG.DMP using the command:

$@SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN SAVPARAMS GENFILES FEEDBACK

(Help to autogen can obtain using $@SYS$UPDATE:AUTOGEN HELP

Saludos.
Daniel.
Charles Gonzalez

The device is currently write locked
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Charles,

You are going to need to give us more info if you want us to be able to help.

Was you last note to us a request for help, or was it to let us know you had found the solution, and the cause of the previous problems?

If you still need help, you are going to need to connect a terminal emulator up to the system console and capture the output.

And you are going to need to give us info about what your hardware configuration is.

You essentially told us:

Please Help!!!
My car won't start.

We need more info to be able to remotely diagnose the problem.

My guess is that there is a problem with the disk that is write locked, and something (controller, VMS shadowing driver, perhaps even the disk drive itself) is attempting to protect the data that is still accessible on the drive by preventing any changes to the contents of the drive. How long has it been since you backed up the disk?

Jon
it depends
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Charles,
I concur with Jon, we cannot help you without much more information.
Please capture a log of the startup to the point it hangs or fails. - How ??
Connect a serial cable from another computer to the OPA0 port on the failing machine.
On the console do:
>>> set console serial
>>> init
on the 'other' machine run a program that can copy to a file all of the output from the serial console.
boot the failing machine
confirm that you have a file containing the output from the console
Post that file here *as a TEXT file*, **NOT** as a '.doc' or other non-VMS readable format.
We will review the results and tell you what we think you should do next.
JT: