5054 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: opendev arguments??

wistler123
Occasional Contributor

opendev arguments??

hi,

i am writing a shared library to send calldown routines to pwip driver. I do not know the value of uhandle for the opendev function ...
here is the synatx
int (*opendev) (void *Uhandle, void **Lhandle, PDV_UP *upvec, int type);

i believe lhandle should be empty as it is given by the PWIP driver and type is 0/1 for tcp/udp.
i am not sure about the value for uhandle.
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

AFAIK, the PATHWORKS IP device interface is an undocumented API, and one that is potentially subject to change.

Contact somebody affiliated with the HP TCP/IP engineering team and ask for the documentation on PWIPDRIVER.

If you're working for or otherwise working with HP internal network access (or for or with someone with that access), you'll want to use the internal conferencing and discussion resources available (only) within HP to get information on this undocumented interface.

If you're not specifically intending to work with this specific PWIP API, then the $qio and $qiow interfaces into BGDRIVER or the libpcap library are seriously better choices here. Among other benefits, they're documented and supported. And we can help you with questions on those, unlike with PWIP.

Based on your Computing.Net postings and strictly out of curiosity, what educational organization assigned PWIP-level coding work?

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
wistler123
Occasional Contributor

i am an final year undergrad doing my project in hp. Except for the design document there is no other information i can find. I realised the difficulty when i started coding it. I am getting stuck at every point coz of the minute details that i cant figure out. for eg the uhandle for my library.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Since you're working for HP, you may well (or do?) have extensive information available to you via the HP internal network.

As a student, part of what you are learning is how to research (technologies learned in school are not the goal, the overriding goal of what you're shown and the projects you are assigned are to help you learn how to learn and how to research) and you likely have a huge pile of information and resources available to you within HP's own internal network. Most of what you're learning in school -- the actual technologies and the APIs and the interfaces -- will be antiquated junk in five to ten years or so. The knowledge might get you into a job, but the knowledge and the APIs change rapidly -- it's knowing how to research that will really help you.

As for the specific PWIP stuff, Matt Muggeridge and Mark Hollinger were folks associated with the OpenVMS TCP/IP when last I knew. Look either or both of these folks up in the HP internal employee email database, or look up the business manager for the TCP/IP Services product, and start with him or her. Matt or Mark might point you at an internal discussion forum or conference, for instance, or might be able to provide the specs, or some interface contacts that are working with the PWIP interface. (And tell them I said "hello", too.)

Folks outside of HP don't typically have the PWIP specs nor internal HP network access. (You might.) I know that few folks out here would object if copies of the PWIP specs were dropped in our laps, but that's fodder for another discussion.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC