New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS 7.3-2, too process in Swapped Out state

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS 7.3-2, too process in Swapped Out state

Try diff sys$system:setparams.dat ;-3
(replace ;-3 with the version that was 7.3-1.

May be important parameters were changed during the upgrade (e.g. wsmax). Post the result of diff.

Wim
Wim
rison so_1
Advisor

SETPARAMS.DAT;41 is from the 10/JUL/06 and SETPARAMS.DAT;13 is from the 11/MAY/06.

Upgrade was done on the 10/JUN/06

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I only see minor differences that can't explain the swapped out unless your system was already "full as an egg" (btw : you maxproc was at 732, not 600).

But as long as you don't have performance problems, nothing is wrong. If the inswap delays the users, you can decrease the wsquota parameter of the users using navigator (e.g. by 10%). Of course you need to restart the sessions after that.

Wim
Wim
rison so_1
Advisor

Thanks all for your help.
rison so_1
Advisor

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I assume you did an autogen and did a diff to see what VMS proposes as changes to the parameters ?

Wim
Wim
rison so_1
Advisor

Yes, I did the change according to Autogen report.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Rison So,

Please take note of the comment that Volker made about the images being installed SHARED.

The INSTALL LIST command will produce a list of all installed images. If the image being used by a large number of your processes is not installed, you will be using large amounts of memory to hold identical, read-only pages.

Thus, using INSTALL to install shareable images, you may be able to reduce the amount of memory used by several orders of magnitude (factor of 1,000 to 10,1000).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com