Operating System - OpenVMS
1748069 Members
5687 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OS/X 10.6.6 NFS and OpenVMS NFS (VMS V7.1 & 8.2)

Dr. Robert Young
Occasional Contributor

OS/X 10.6.6 NFS and OpenVMS NFS (VMS V7.1 & 8.2)

I have a "mix" of OpenVMS Alpha & Itanium systems, running VMS 7.1-> 8.2 (8.3 shortly). I also have a "slew" of OS/X systems running 10.5.8-> 10.6.6.

I have been testing out the NFS capability of the older (7.1) OpenVMS system (so as not to impact anything critical, and figuring it is the 'worst case scenario').

I can get the Mac volume mounted over on OpenVMS, but any attempt to do a "dir" or "copy" results in a timeout. Here is the terminal output on OpenVMS, the Mac volume is mounted

TCPIP> show proxy
VMS User_name Type User_ID Group_ID Host_name
YOUNG OND 501 501 *

TCPIP> mount DNFS0: /HOST="rcyoung" /path="/Users/rcyoung" /
automount=inactivity
=7-00:00:00.0/share/force
%TCPIP$DNFSMOUNT-S-MOUNTED, /Users/rcyoung mounted on _DNFS16:[000000]
TCPIP>

When you go to the OS, you can see the disk (aka DNFS16), but no "dir" is possible (you timeout)

$ sh dev d
Device Device Error Volume Free Trans Mnt
Name Status Count Label Blocks Count Cnt
A2100N$DKA0: Online 0
A2100N$DKA100: Mounted 0 ALPHA820 844200 349 1
A2100N$DKA200: Mounted 0 AXPDATA2 796608 1 1
A2100N$DKA300: Mounted 0 AXPDATA3 997408 1 1
A2100N$DKA400: Online wrtlck 0
A2100N$DVA0: Online 0
DNFS0: Online 0
DNFS16: Mounted 0 rcyou$/Users 0 1 1

$ dir dnfs16:[000000]
%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening DNFS16:[000000].;* as input
-RMS-E-DNF, directory not found
-SYSTEM-F-TIMEOUT, device timeout

ANy thoughts??? I should mention you get the timeout with any action against that disk (copying files, dir, etc)
5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: OS/X 10.6.6 NFS and OpenVMS NFS (VMS V7.1 & 8.2)

Hi Robert,
I know nothing about this particular topic, however I was looking at your post and noticed that your mount command refers to "/HOST="rcyoung"", whereas on the VMS side, the host is truncated to "rcyou$"

Could this have anything to do with it??

Dave.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This topic has been discussed out in comp.os.vms and the thread is available here:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.os.vms/I61QLFJSUoE/discussion

The core question has been answered out there.

The follow-up question is this:

>>>begin quote
A quick "related" question- I have run into issues in the past when moving files from OpenVMS to Unix/Mac/Windows. All those "pesky" OpenVMS file attributes that sometimes get "corrupted". If I am storing Mac files on OpenVMS I don't see a problem.

But if I move a file from OpenVMS (save a backup saveset), and then move it back to the same or different OpenVMS system from the Mac, will there be any "problems" you can think of??
<<
And that's due to how VMS does not store its metadata. Mac OS X does store the metadata, and thus avoids having the resource forks and metadata attributed stripped. VMS uses file conversions here via ADF support (which is basically an on-the-fly FDL based on that most awful of format selections, the file extension), and those can and do work, but they usually don't provide the consistency of the Mac OS X implementation.

The best approach for files being bucketed through a Mac or Windows or Linux box is to zip the files, and transfer the zip. zip and unzip maintain FDL data internally (when you specify the "-V" (and on VMS, you must quote that switch to get uppercase, or select ODS-5 extended filename parsing) and use that to reconstitute the VMS metadata on the remote end.

The other issue that can arise with NFS (which surprisingly tends to cause NOPRIV no privilege errors) is a failure to select the appropriate NFS. Few servers now default to lighting NFSv2, so all but the most recent NFS clients on VMS can select an unavailable version and report an odd failure.
Dr. Robert Young
Occasional Contributor

Have it working on OPenVMS 8.2 and OS/X 10.6.6. Still working on a 7.1 system with older UCX to see if it works there as well

See discussion on

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/23ad502c52525281/4d5f34992e21d815?hl=en#4d5f34992e21d815
Dr. Robert Young
Occasional Contributor

Have it working under 7.1.

Now, I wonder what happens if I have an image saveset on the NSF disk, perform a zip FROM a OpenVMS zip program, and have it store the zip file back on the NSF disk...will the file characteristics be "lost", or will the OS "pick them up" and incorporate them properly????
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>Now, I wonder what happens if I have an image saveset on the NSF disk, perform a zip FROM a OpenVMS zip program, and have it store the zip file back on the NSF disk...will the file characteristics be "lost", or will the OS "pick them up" and incorporate them properly????

Test it. It's a data backup, so ensuring that the data is recoverable is only something that can be established with any certainly through full-path testing.

Doctor Young has initiated two other threads on this question:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/comp.os.vms/I61QLFJSUoE/discussion

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Networking/NSF-and-zipping-files/m-p/4767236#M9760

In addition to the comments from those other threads (and the expectation of testing), building and then zipping a saveset from a VMS box to remote storage via an NFS connection is going to be slow. With what I've seen of these boxes, slow with GbE, and glacial when you're not running GbE on the Alpha boxes.