108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Patch missing???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Patch missing???

HP has come up with a re-release of the SMGSHR patch. Both are now mentioned in the ECO list, both are missing on the download page....

oops?
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
8 REPLIES 8
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Willem,

which page and version are you referring to?

I can find the kit on both the Alpha 7.3-2 and Alpha 8.3 pages - just look down below the rating 3 items!!!

On the 7.3-2 page when browsing all patches, it runs up below 3 MQ patches and just above the RTR patch.

Duncan
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

ITRC patch download page for OpenVMS, Alpha 8.3, browse list, 100 entries max. No sign when I looked. Or better: overlooked. These are non-rated patches!

I'd expect this patch to be rated "1: To be installed by all customers." The re-release was done to stretch the importance of the patch:
[quote]
OpenVMS has received feedback from customers that the release of the recent SMGRTL patch kits did not make it clear that these kits corrected critical security issues and did not properly convey the need to install the kits as soon as possible.
[/quote]

So the patch was renamed, but setting the appropiate rating seems to have been forgotten, so it's actually not-rated.
For such an important patch, I think it contradicting.
Willem Grooters
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor
Solution

I just looked on the 8.3 page with browse 100 max, and there it is, 6 from the bottom!

After BMQ V5.0 RP37 for AXP
Before NEMO (Alpha V8.3) qualified SLS V29J ECO02.

It is indeed crazy that it should appear right down there, instead of being at the top of the lists.

Duncan
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Willem,

it *WAS* rated INSTALL_1 (see ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/alpha/V8.3/.VMS83A_SMGRTL-V0100.txt ); now it's rated

MUP : Must be installed by all customers.

Too bad that the Web interface doesn't know about MUPs...

cu,
Martin
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

"know your tools".
Someone forgot about that, I think.

There was a MUP when 8.3 was just out.
Rated "1" if my memory serves me well.

Shouldn't be that hard...
Willem Grooters
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

I understand that the ITRC is in for a fix wrt MUPs. There will come a time when MUPs appear on page 1 and marked clearly so. At the moment, the ITRC doesn't handle these well and they wind up on the last rather than the first page.

HTH
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

personally I always use the ftp site after seeing the announcement from the openvms,org alerts list. The other interface is just too awful.

Dave: I think it's just an attribute; I don't see nothing in the name that would force it into right category.

Ian: Matter to taste. AFAIK the FTP site doesn't make a distinction in rating either.

I'll put it into the feedback area ;)
Willem Grooters