1753265 Members
5488 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pathworks DECnet DDCMP protocol on serial port on Windows XP

Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Pathworks DECnet DDCMP protocol on serial port on Windows XP

This is not exactly for OpenVMS, but is concerning the DECnet DDCMP module in Pathworks (Windows XP).

Customer wants to interface a Windows XP PC with a PLC machine via DECnet/DDCMP using a serial line (RS-232).

He tries to install Pathworks32 V7.4. According to the installation guide, one should choose "Custom installation" and "Remote Access" to include the DDCMP module.

But only the option "DECnet" is available.

See also http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/721FINAL/pw32/PW_IG.PDF

Can anybody indicate how we can include the DDCMP option?
5 REPLIES 5
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Re: Pathworks DECnet DDCMP protocol on serial port on Windows XP

Can you tell us what the attached file is a picture of and why you included it? That picture has the "Remote Access" option.

Why did you include that attachment?

Brad McCusker
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Brad, yes! Thanks for your reply.

Actually the attachment comes from the Installation Guide Pathworks32 V7.4 [actually the latest (?) release created by Compaq] and shows what we *should* see.

Actually the customer only has the option DECnet on that screen.

The Installation Guide describes that you can install the DDCMP module (needed for DECnet over serial line) via the "Remote Access" option.

Question: What causes the "Remote Access" option not to be visible?
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Geert,

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help here, PW-32 was never in my area of responsibility.

One thing I noticed is that the SPD seems to be saying that Remote Access is available for Windows NT 4 only. It doesn't explicitly say "NT 4 only", but, that is the only OS it mentions. Combined with the behavior your are seeing, it leads me to think maybe it's not available on WinXP?

SPD 56.33.09: http://www.compaq.com/info/SP5633/SP5633PF.PDF

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

I would have to agree with Brad here. My recollection is that there were no updates done to PW-32 after NT4. While most of the functionality will continue to work properly, anything from an installation standpoint that is triggered by version may not happen.

Dan
Geert Van Pamel
Regular Advisor

Some progress:

Customer has installed Pathworks on Windows 98 instead of Windows XP.

On Windows 98 the Remote Access appears.

Next question: how to configure a "Null modem" connection as a DDCMP interface in Pathworks32 for Windows 98?