2724 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with host name

SOLVED
Go to solution

Problem with host name

Running VMS 7.2

I am a non-network savy guy Trying to use FTP . I can FTP using the IP address but not Host name. I can ping the address but not host name. When I go into TCPIP and show host neither the IP or hot name are visable on the output and I get the following error at the end of the show command . Any idea why I cant use the host name?

SHOW HOST

bla bla bla

164.51.145.138 WPB_NP17, wpb_np17
192.149.205.14 lota,ris
192.149.205.1 lotto1, LOTTO1
192.149.205.2 lotto2, LOTTO2
%NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number 00000002
%TCPIP-W-NORECORD, information not found
-NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number 00000002
TCPIP>
TCPIP> sho version

DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.0A - ECO 3
on a DEC 7000 Model 710 running OpenVMS V7.2

TCPIP>
8 REPLIES 8
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with host name

Kendall,

My first guess would be that name resolution is not working or mis-configured.

Networks can be a challenge, the number of pitfalls that one can encounter is impressive. That said, more information is needed to understand what you are seeing.

However, the post does not include:
- whether this is a long standing problem
- which node you are trying to access (IP address and name)

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would say the Alpha doesn't have your target host defined or available to a name server. Is a name server configured on the Alpha?

$ TCPIP SHOW NAME

The easiest solution is to define the host name.

TCPIP SET HOST /ADDRESS =192.149.205.101

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

To add definitions of hosts -- to map host names to host addresses -- you need either specify a DNS server and ensure the host addresses and names are available via the DNS server, or you need locally enter names using the SET HOST command within TCP/IP Services TCPIP utility.

SET HOST is the command used to add the node to the local static database. See HELP SET HOST at the TCPIP> prompt. You'll be adding an upper and a lower-case name for the node, and the associated IP address, using the SET HOST command. (This is SET HOST at the TCPIP> prompt, and not at the DCL $ prompt.)

As for the DNS commands and adding the node into your local DNS database (if that is how your network is set up), the commands and such depend on what server you are getting your DNS from. OpenVMS can serve DNS or can act as a DNS client, as can various other platforms. (There's usually a DNS network administrator.)

As for the errors from SHOW HOST, that looks to be a known bug in that version of TCP/IP Services. See: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_2477.html The first thing I'd try here (or fix here) is the TCP/IP Services ECO level or (far better) I'd upgrade past V5.0A. An ECO might fix this error, I don't know.

OpenVMS Alpha V7.2 is equally ancient and should be ECO'd as far as "current" for that release, and an upgrade to V7.3-2 is encouraged; that's the next-oldest release with a modicum of support available. V8.3 would be current release.

You'll see various performance and feature upgrades, too -- V7.3-2 is often significantly faster than V7.2, FWIW.

ECO kits for OpenVMS Alpha V7.2 and for TCP/IP Services V5.0A are (somewhere) here: ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com -- you'll likely have to dig around for both at the FTP site, as both of the product releases are beyond support.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Thank you , setting the host name resolved the issue. Is there a netstartup procedure that need to be updated to make this perm?
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

hi Kendall
the set host definitions are sticky,
you should be set. Dean
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Kendall.
Just one other thing, as Hoff mentioned above, you should enter the host name in both UpperCase and LowerCase, as follows;

$ set host NODENAME /alias="nodename"/Address=

Dave

Thanks , want to thank you guys for your prompt help with this stuff . I am a DBA that is attempting to support the system management of these legacy systems. This is a great service!!! I apologize for the remedial questions but there is no documentation at this site.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Kendall,
One other thing, you need to be aware that this command places the the IP resolution information in the node Local Host table.
If a host process needs to resolve a hostname, it looks in the Local Table first, before trying to resolve externally, i.e. by going to a DNS Server.
If your site uses a DNS server for name resolution, it would be better to configure the Name Service within TCPIP than depend on the local table because if the Network people decide to change the IP address of your target host, without informing you (because they think you are using the DNS), then your entry in the local table becomes invalid, and whatever you were using it for, will cease to work.

Beware.

Dave