7052 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question for SLS saveset

Davor_7
Regular Advisor

Re: Question for SLS saveset

robert,

you mean this way could be used to track how many real size the tape hold the data?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

yes, there is a summary line at the end of the listing file
Total of X files, Y blocks

Davor,

Yes -- the method I suggested will display the actual size of the savesets in tape blocks. Be careful to distinguish this from disk blocks. The tape blocks will be whatever size used by BACKUP to write to the tape. The easiest way to verify that is to look at the LIS file or to use BACKUP to list one of the savesets to see what value it used for /BLOCK. It may or may not be the same as was specified on the command line because BACKUP adjusts the value to the closest "correct" size, and the maximum it will write to tape I believe is 65024.

The listing files you have are only partially useful because they list the sizes of the input files being backed up. If you look for pagefile and swapfile entries it will still list the total size of the file. In my experience the only way to know for sure how big a saveset is requires looking at the tape with DIRECTORY to see.

Years ago I did some experimenting to see how closely the listing files tracked the size of savesets on tape. Generally speaking they are accurate when discounting the files marked NOBACKUP. The challenge is to discount for these files -- some systems have many more of them than the basic set on the system disk.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!