New Discussion юеВ

SCP2 from VMS to Window

SOLVED
Go to solution
dvdbrg
Occasional Advisor

SCP2 from VMS to Window

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem with secure copy from one of our VMS nodes to a Windows machine. From the looks of the error it doesn't like the public key. The keys were generated on the VMS node, and the public key copied to the Windows node.

scp2 t2.txt "xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xx"::
warning: Error trying to access file /USER01/user/xxxxxxx/ssh2/ID_DSA_2048_A.PUB.pub.
warning: Could not read public key file /USER01/user/xxxxxxx/ssh2/ID_DSA_2048_A
.PUB.pub
hlthfx_test@159.140.193.84's password:

So, it's failing on the publickey and moving to password authentication, which is what we are trying to avoid. My research on the web indicates there is probably a formatting issue with the key. Anybody know how to convert the key so it works with Windows?

Also -
HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.6 - ECO 2
on an AlphaServer 4100 5/600 8MB running OpenVMS V8.3

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Re: SCP2 from VMS to Window

The identification. file on the VMS system should name the files that contain the private keys:
key filename

It may be that the server running on the Windows system expects to tack on .pub, so you don't need to include that when specifying the list of potential public keys for it to try with.
dvdbrg
Occasional Advisor

Removing the .pub from the identification file seems to have helped, but I'm seeing a new error:

scp2 t2.txt "xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xx"::
tcpip$ssh_scp2.exe: warning:

%TCPIP-E-SSH_FC_ERR_PROT, file transfer protocol mismatch
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor
Solution

What is running on the Windows system?
I have seen some versions of the SFTP/SCP2 on TCP/IP services report the highest version that they support as version 999, when in reality they only support up to version 3. (The highest version defined is 6, OpenSSH and many others use version 3 and lower, VanDyke Vshell uses version 4 and lower, MultiNet and TCPware use version 4 and lower.)

There are some differences in message formats between version 3 and version 4 that would cause the current error.
dvdbrg
Occasional Advisor

Looks like it was an issue with the syntax of the scp2 command. This one did the trick - scp2 t2.txt xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:
idbguy

We recently ran into the Protocol Mismatch error, too, transfering text files from VMS to Windows. The issue ended up being that the file permissions included "Execute" privs on the VMS environment and it couldn't pass this through to Windows. In any case, once we removed Execute privs and left it with just Read, Write, Delete, the file SCP'd fine.
Kumar_Sanjay
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Could you please attach the Debug outout here.

$ SCP2 t2.txt -vvv Username@xx.xx.xx.xx

Thanks and Regards
Sanjay.