New Discussion юеВ

set login/interactive question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: set login/interactive question

Jan,
Yes! Yes! Yes! It was my first VMS upgrade and I tried to 'be clever'.
It was not a privilege problem - I simply didn't get a 'Username:' prompt,
not even on OPA0:!

I thought I wrote that I had fixed it from another cluster member ;-)

The cluster-wide queue manager was there in V4. I am sure that
SYSMAN came with V5.0, but I skipped to V5.1. Cluster-wide process
services came with V5.2.

I always just set MAXPROCESSCNT (good hint, Wim!) and let AUTOGEN calculate
BALSETCNT. Invalid setting can make a system fail during bootstrap -
at least on VAX.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

$ STARTUP$INTERACTIVE_LOGINS == 1400
creates a global symbol which is evaluated by STARTUP.COM

Thanks for all the informative responses; this opened up good discussion.

I have enough to accomplish my task.

Kirk Reindl
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

fwiw - a hardcoded $ set log/int=1400 in systartup_vms.com gets reset to 64 later in the boot. A $ set log/int=0 in systartup_vms.com only allows users with oper priv to login until later in the boot. A minimum boot ignores startup$interactive_logins and later in the boot does a $set log/int=8. A $ set log/int=0 as well as defining startup$interactive_logins could aid debugging a system boot (don't know, but it may make my life easier).
OPA0 was fine in all cases.

A piece of advice on BALSETCNT:
If this is a high availabilty cluster, maxprocesscnt needs to be much higher then 1,400 interactive users + system processes + padding (after all, you do want some number of users from a failed node to login and continue on the surviving node, yes?). With a fairly hefty wsmax, balsetcnt will run out of system space (physical memory has almost nothing to do with this limitation); autogen corrects for this, but balsetcnt could be too low for decent system performance. Of course there is VBS, etc. that helps. SYSGEN tuning helps, etc. And on and on . . .

Kirk, I guess you got much more from us then you bargined for?
Enjoy!!!
john
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update, John. It looks like VMS has evolved in almost every corner - on the other hand: one less challenge left ;-)

I agree: it is amazing what a loosely coupled cluster of brains can accomplish.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I also let autogen calculate all max processcnt related settings.
But I monitor the number of processes, the number of users, balance set slots etc and when it reaches e.g. 90% I get an alarm.

This allows you to investigate why there are that many processes or users. I once had a decwindows user that simply openened a decterm each time he needed a window.

Btw : it is good practice to monitor quotas too.
Wim
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

John,

about the WSMAX * BALSETCNT limitation:
(the product must fit within 32 bits minus status bits minus 8 bits for byte-per-page, iirc leaving 20 bits);
I am not absolutely sure and do not have de means to check right now, but I think I remember a bootcamp session where these limitations were mentioned as being addressed (in 7.3-2 or in 8.x).
Maybe some-one at engeneering could prove my memory wrong, or can confirm this and give the true value for the version number?

I DO remember that even 10 years ago it was a real nusance: it was not possible to have dozens of relatively small processes on ONE machine together with a (graphical rendition) process that needed a real LARGE WS.
Only solution then was an extra machine, with a rather rigorously different setup, and a lot of extra managent effort to control what ran where.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

--- I found the info about WSMAX * BALSETCNT restriction being lifted:
It is as of V7.3-2

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

restriction lifted due to moveing of various structures futher up in virtual memory (P2 space, PT space etc) so not constrained to fit in 32bit 4Gb VA range any more - hurrah for 64 bit VMS!