108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SMTP mail sent time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

SMTP mail sent time

Customer has legacy systems running OpenVMS 7.1 and UCX 4.2 - ECO 5. When sending SMTP mail to Outlook the "Sent" time is one hour ahead of system time. Yes, it's because of the new DST changes and this problem will probably go away in April when the old DST change date is reached. There is no patch for UCX for OpenVMS 7.1 but is there a logical that can be set that would reset the "Sent" time to match system time?
8 REPLIES 8
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: SMTP mail sent time

Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks Wim,

Didn't find anything helpful. I've tried changing all the *TZ* and *TDF* settings but nothing seems to work. I did set the system ahead one month and the date is okay. I'm going to tell the user there's nothing I can do and the problem will go away starting 6-April.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks Hoff,

I didn't find an answer to my "sent email" problem in the links you gave me but they did resolve a problem the user has with with a "C" application.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

SMTP and the rest of TCP/IP has used the C and system TZ stuff for a while, and the C stuff needs to be set correctly to get the TZ right in a whole pile of applications.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Oh, BTW... Don't <<>>. Get your TZ definitions fixed, and then (only) use SYS$MANAGER:UTC$TIME_SETUP.COM to modify the settings.

If you try directly setting logical names, all sorts of weird stuff happens. For whatever reason, this whole area is arguably arcane, cryptic and fragile.

In some ways UTC$TIME_SETUP can (and apparently sometimes should, based on some reports around the 'net) be used to "bless" any TZ changes, too, including those arriving on your system via HP patch kits.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Russ,

remember TCPIP and the related NTP stuff came from *UX.
And although some of those ideas do have value 'per se', the implementation is, well, haphazard.
And the people that migrated that stuff to VMS were obviously given a bypass on 'normal' VMS QA.

Sad, but we will have to learn to live with it.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Russ Carraro
Regular Advisor

Thanks for all the replies.