1753891 Members
7669 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Management Homepage (SMH)

David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

System Management Homepage (SMH)

SMH is newly installed onto a cluster of two machines, but logins are refused for all users despite having SMH$ADMIN rights granted to them.

The prerequisites are there, although there never was a cluster TCP alias set up for this cluster - is one needed?

The login screen is presented, but the following screen always says "Login failed" - there are no messages in OPCOM nor in SYSUAF that suggest that the operating system has rejected the login.

What gives? Thanks in advance for the help!
7 REPLIES 7
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

Re: System Management Homepage (SMH)

I should note: these are two HP Itanium servers with OpenVMS 8.3 in a cluster.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Daviad,

as far as I understand SMH, every valid OpenVMS user on the system should have 'USER' access to SMH. The SMH$ADMIN identifier should grant ADMINISTRATOR privilege.

Check the contents of the CPQHOST.LOG file for error messages.

Volker.

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

there are also restrictions for supported browsers and timeouts will just represent the login screen see release notes :-

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/smh/smh_release_notes.pdf

hth

David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

No logs in CPQHOST.LOG - once I found it. Looked in the directories for both nodes and no errors; tried to check other files for logs but most seemed to be status files that were in use.

I've tried using Internet Explorer (7.0.5730.13); Flock (2.0.3); and Firefox (3.0.9). None worked - all gave same symptoms - and none gave the symptoms of "browser unsupported" that were described earlier.
David G. Douthitt
Regular Advisor

No new ideas? I'd like to get SMH working on VMS.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

David,

I did get SMH V2.0 to run on a couple of customer systems by strictly following the installation/configuration guide.

I remember, that I had to install SMH into BOTH roots on a shared system disk, as some [.DATA] directory was missing on the 2nd root and did not get created by running SMH_CONFIG.

If you can't get help from the OpenVMS community to solve your problem, I suggest that you contact HP.

Volker.
Sahir
Occasional Advisor

Hi David ,
what kind of cluster configuration you have ?
If its Common system cluster, Then SMH will automatically detect the cluster settings and will do auto configuration for each nodes.
Else,
you need to install SMH on each node and any user should able to login SMH. But, one newly created user will not be able to login to SMH until they loged into VMS atleast once and changed the password