Operating System - OpenVMS
1752815 Members
6110 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VAX 4000-705A & Version 6.2 Not able to boot from CD.

monish_1
Occasional Contributor

VAX 4000-705A & Version 6.2 Not able to boot from CD.

I am using VAX 4000-705A & Version 6.2

when I boot from CD by giving follwoing command (VAX Foundation Softward Delivery Disk 1 of 3)

>>>b dia4

%sysboot-w-sysboot can not map sysdump.dmp on the system disk.

%system-I-Mountver, $1$DIA4: has been write locked XI06-67K Mount Verification In.

After above msg system stucks.

What will be the problem & How to solve?

Thanks

Bye
Monish
12 REPLIES 12
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: VAX 4000-705A & Version 6.2 Not able to boot from CD.

Monish,

If I recall the VAX 4000 series correctly, I am surprised that the CD-ROM is device DIA4.

It would be wise to start with the simplest question. Please do a SHOW DEVICES command from the console prompt (">>>") and post the results here.

I suspect that you may not be booting the actual CD-ROM.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Monish,

did this ever work before ? Can you boot it from any other disk ?

The first message is just a warning, that there is no dumpfile on the system disk (CD) - that's quite normal and expected.

A disk is put into mount-verification, if there is an IO error reading from the disk (or CD). SO there may be some HW error in the IO path to the CD.

What kind of CD drive is this ? Connected behind a DSSI adapter and a HSDxx ?

Is the CD o.k. and readable ?

Volker.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Could be a SCSI cd-rom drive behind an HSD10 or such.

That label on the cd doesn't sound right or at least not what I'm used to. I'm not at the office right now, but I'm fairly sure it's a single disk with some mention of the word "binary" distribution. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Do you have a working VMS o/s that you can look at the cd contents? What do you see on it?

Cheers,
Art
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The usual connection for the RRD4x-series CD-ROM drive was the KZQSA controller or the HSD05 adapter on this and other similar VAX 4000 series boxes. Use of the DI device prefix on the boot command implies the latter.

Assuming DIA4: is the CD-ROM, then this could be a bad RRD-series drive, a bad or ill-terminated SCSI, bad media, etc. Hard to say what's wrong, whether or not this worked prior to this attempt.

If this is a "home-constructed" system (and not a factory-packaged configuration), confirm that the CD-ROM is SCSI and correctly terminated and set for 512-byte block operations. If it's an RRD-series drive, that's the default configuration, but it can be feasible to reconfigure a supported drive for systems other than OpenVMS.

And as others have indicated, please post details.
Kumar_Sanjay
Regular Advisor

Not sure if you media are usable, please check if you other drive available for mounting.
Well, please post the above details as mentioned here.

Thanks.
monish_1
Occasional Contributor

How to set 512 byte block on CD drive

Thanks for all prompt reply

Cheers
Monish
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Monish,

please provide the exact name and type of the CD drive used, if you expect help checking or changing the configuration.

Volker.
Kumar_Sanjay
Regular Advisor

Monish,

I am not sure, If you are asking about recordsize or Blocksize.

you can use /Recordsize or /Blocksize option.

Exam:

Mount/for/blocksize=512/recordsize=512 DKA0:
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Kumar_Sanjay,

/blocksize and /recordsize are specifically for mounting magnetic tape. Trying this on a disk device results in a error like the following (from an ES47 with an IDE based CD and VMS 7.3-2):

$ Mount/for/blocksize=512/recordsize=512 dqa0:
%MOUNT-F-ILLOPT, qualifier(s) not appropriate to this device
$

What Hoff was describing and what I assume Monish was asking about was the CDROM settings. It also isn't clear to me how /blocksize and /recordsize would be useful even if they did work with mounting a disk device, since Monish was specifically asking about booting from CD.

Monish,

To work with VAX/VMS 6.2 (and as far as I know, even later versions of VMS for the VAX), a SCSI CDROM drive must be able to emulate 512 byte sectors. The native sector size on CDROM is 2048 bytes, or 4 VMS disk blocks. CDROM drives that will work with VMS must be able to accept a request for LBN 6 and return 512 bytes, starting at offset 1024 in the second sector (logical sector 1) of the CD.

A jumper or dipswitch setting on the drive normally controls 512 byte or 2048 byte block operation. However, only a minority of the SCSI CDROM drives even have the capability of translating 2048 byte sectors into virtual 512 byte sectors.

However, I doubt that is the problem you are seeing, since I would have expected the VMS image to fail to load if the CDROM drive was set to 2048 byte mode. However, VMS must have loaded, or it would not have been able to report the messages it did.

As Art Wiens said, the CD would normally have "VAX VMS 6.2 Binary" printed on the CD. I am not sure what the VAX Foundation Softward Delivery Disk 1 of 3) is.

A little history about the system and the CD would be useful. Until you answer some of the questions asked by Art, Volker and Hoff, you will only get guesses.

Jon
it depends