New Discussion юеВ

VMS node configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

VMS node configuration

Hi,

For business reasons we need to seperate one of the development enviornement from existing microVAX server with OpenVMS V6.2 OS to another new microVAX server.

We are planning to copy the existing server including system disk and restore to new server.

So my question is to make both servers active in the network what the settings needs to be changed typically.

1. Ofcourse new servername :-)
2. New IP and DECNET addresses
3. New SCSNODE and SCSSYSTEMID in modparams.dat

Can you tell me what else settings needs to be checked and needs configuration changes to make both nodes active on the network.

regards
Raj
7 REPLIES 7
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

Re: VMS node configuration

Hi,

We will also adjust the Disk confiuration according to new disks location and names and we will also modify startup procedures for disk mounting and console boot setup and sysman startup procedures.

please let me know if we have to do more changes on any configuration issues in the new server which may conflict with existing server.

regards
Raj
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Raj

You did not mention, if this nodes are in a Cluster configuration. If so, I would recommend to set the cluster group and password

mc sysman conf set cluster_authorization/password=xxxx/group=xyz

Regards

Heinz
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

These servers are NOT in cluster configuration.

regards
Raj
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Raj,

I would recommend that you consider managing the UIC and rightlist assignments in a coordinated way (do not use the same binary UIC for two different groups/purposes on the two systems).

This would ensure that the system management team is not confused when switching between systems. It also helps prevent accidents caused when restoring savesets (and forgetting to deal explicitly with ownership and protection issues)

I hope that the above is helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

there is a useful list in the VMS FAQ
Section 5.7
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/faq/vmsfaq_007.html#mgmt9

on changing node name

Raj,

be aware, that the UCX/TCPIP configuration is bound to the SCS nodename, so you need to completely re-configure UCX/TCPIP once you change your SCS nodename.

Other than that, you seem to already thought of everything necessary.

Volker.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Licenses.
You will need to update them for the new server name if you used the /include option on any of them. Some licenses require that option.

Is this new system going to share any storage with the other system? If so you will need to make sure they don't access the same devices since they aren't clustered.
(yes - you can have 2 systems connected to same disk array accessing same disks when they are not clustered. Problem is they each think they are the master of the disk and know nothing of the other system)