New Discussion юеВ

VMS Poor SDLT performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Re: VMS Poor SDLT performance

Tom,

There is a issue with TZ89 drives that if the block size was too small or if the buffers (WSEXTENT) was too small that you could end up with parity errors. We have seen this recently and have corrected it by upping the WSEXTENT.

What I would like to get from HP is the final and official word for DLT/SDLT and LTO drives if /CRC and or /GROUP qualifiers are still needed. If the DLT/SDLT and LTO drives have a lot more error detection that a 9-track tape with word and longitudinal parity then does backup computing the CRC add anything?

If these drive will not allow you to read past a parity error does then having the XOR groups block buy us anything?

These two questions have been asked for a long time but I haven't seen anyone from HP Storage or the OpenVMS group belly up to provide real answers.

I would also like to see the BACKUP utility improved to use double buffering so that reads from the disks occur at the same time as writes to the tapes. This would have a better chance of keeping these hungry tape drives streaming. Right now they are guaranteed to pause each time backup stops to read more data from the disks.

Or maybe backups should be changed to be more efficient backing up from disk such that the data being backed up does not have to be in directory and alphabetical order. Perhaps it would be better to backup the data as fast a possible and then when you restore you actually put the data when it needs to go. So instead of doing the gather scatter on the backup to tape and a basically sequential restore perhaps we try and backup sequentially and do the gather scatter on the restore. Since we hopefully backup to tape a lot more than we need to restore this could lead to better backup performance.

My 5 cents at least.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I whole heartedly agree with Cass that enhancments need to continue forward.
It is now worth 10cents !!

Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

I agree with Cass also.

And on a *somewhat* related matter; when will we get a definitive statement on an often raised issue.....

For years it was asked why quantum was set by default to 20, which was OK back in VAX (analagous to 9-track tape in this discussion) days but a looooong time when Alpha (SDLT) came along, especially the newer models. Yes you can tweak it, but how many people #1 remember and/or #2 even know this parameter exists.

Read the VMS 8.2 Release Notes, pg 4-19. Quantum default is now 5.

Perhaps we'll see something in some future Release Notes on the backup questions raised in this thread.

Now up to 15 cents.... how many Euros? :-)

Dave...
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Ok, let's put some more coal on the fire!

Firstly, ever since the intro of SCSI I have been _GALLED_ by the unability to correct a single, simple parity error!

And to demonstrate it is (at least: was) a SCSI-specific thing:

Back in the TK70 era we had a (project) backup tape that suddenly was needed on line again.
It was my first-ever experience wit Backup FATAL parity error, used as I was to "nnn Recoverable Errors Encountered"
DEC had a simple solution: read it on a DSSI TK70 drive!
DEC happened to have a site only some 10KM away, with a suitable system.
We went there with a spare blank tape, the DSSI unit encountered _ONE_ recoverable error, the Backup was wrtten to the new tape.

Pfwooee! (then)

Nowadays, NO escape, except ridiculously expensive and time-consuming dedicated recovery shops.....

I keep catalogueing this as a very heavy degradation of VMS resilience, together with the loss of Shadow Mini Merge when moving to SCSI.
At least that second is HAS been addressed, but it took over 10 years of nagging and nagging and nagging...

------------------------

I WANT THE BACKUP ERROR RECOVERY BACK!!!!

------------------------

Cass,
the idea of doing most of the Backup hard work only upon Restore interesting.

Try to think about it, and I guess it will probably very desirable to have two modes of opreation. I do not really see any way to get the defragmentation done, nor a selective restore, without first reading the total tape into memory. Restore to a smaller disk also seems impractical.
Then again, your main point: backup restore for recovery. Whenever you really need it, fragmentation nor file placement will rank high on the priority list!!!

--- a very interesting idea.
Come to think of it: BACKUP/PHYSICAL already comes close...

Dave: USD 0,15 about equals EUR 0,10.
I think I will add another EUR 0,10 myself now.

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan

Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Jan,

For doing the defrag on restore my thought would be that the directory information would be put on the tape first as well as meta information on what say 10 MB chunk or chunks of tape data the file would be in. I know that tape store things in smaller block sizes but this is a logical chunk.

For restoring a particular file the directory would be read as well as the needed chunks from tape. each chunk has index saying what files and what VBNs are in this chunk. It is just a matter of skipping to the proper chunk and getting the needed blocks.

For an entire disk restore the directory information would have the files and their new location on the disk. So as the chunks were read off the tape drive the data would be written to the proper disk locations. Since most disk controllers have write back cache this may help reduce the disk head movement even more.

I guess we are up to 2 bits (25 cents) now :)
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Cass,

I think you should sit with Hoff and/or Andy for some time to do some real reconnessance on such topic!
With only the likes of us this will never grow over phylosofical, but with their ilk, the hurdles will become apparent, and if surmountable, they can indicate so.
_IF_ that can happen, then it is up the the people in this (and other) VMS fora to see that we get it higher up on the priority list... no problem there I estimate.
Bootcamp or DECus Symposium (under whatever name known nowadays) are excellent occasions for such.

-- SHOULD -- you come to the bootcamp (I will), then we definitely should try to arrange such, and I would REALLY want to sit at that table too!

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you are talking about /PHYSICAL backup/restore at the moment...

Please realize that a /PHYSICAL backup must be taken from a quiet volume (e.g. a snapshot, split-mirror or from a dismounted disk) - else, a change in meta-data (e.g. overwriting the locations of a former directory file) during the backup can create a corrupted volume on tape.

This is much more critical than a BACKUP /IMAGE /IGNORE= INTERLOCK, which is at least somewhat synchronized with concurrent file system access.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Jan,

I (and I would imagine everyone else here) agree with your sentiments 100%. The DSSI story is amazing. This PROVES that there is recoverability we are losing unecessarily, and I think it's unacceptable. As you say, the silence from the vendor(s) about this issue is deafening.

Clearly there is a different, more fatal status being returned by the tape driver/controller which backup will not
retry. Does anyone have access to the source listings to see exactly what's happening here? It's very nice if modern controllers are more reliable than old 9-track, but I still get tape errors, and I want recovery (we are backing up a lot more data now).

One of the most ridiculous things is getting these -F-PARITY errors on WRITE! I would like to know WHAT are the circumstances where this error is generated. Are we killing a whole backup job because of one bad block on the tape? Backup traditionally inhibited retry on write error, and would just rewrite the block, brilliantly handling minor media defects. Are we now just supposed to trash the tape?
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

I've just come accross sys$etc:mkset.txt which is describing setting a /def_rec_allowed parameter on scsi drives (including fibre attached MG devices). The text implies this would only be necessary on third party drives, but makes some comments about allowing deferred recovery of an error instead of a fatal return. I wonder if this is applicable to this discussion. We get our -f-parity errors on hp/compaq drives.

comments?
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I suspect the -F-PARITY is a general error condition returned by the SCSI device drivers to signal an error - I have seen such on SCSI disks as well.