Operating System - OpenVMS
1751936 Members
4841 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

VMS Software, Inc. Launches New Version of OpenVMS Operating System Worldwide V8.4-1H1

VMS Software, Inc. Launches New Version of OpenVMS Operating System Worldwide V8.4-1H1

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VMS Software, Inc. Launches New Version of OpenVMS Operating System Worldwide

First Release of OpenVMS by Newly Formed Company

BOLTON, MA, June 1, 2015 – VMS Software, Inc. (VSI) today announced the worldwide availability of VSI OpenVMS  Version 8.4-1H1 (Bolton Release) operating system (OS) for HP Integrity servers based on Intel® Itanium® 9500 series processor.  The Bolton Release is the first by VSI under an agreement signed with HP in 2014. The new OS is also compatible with HP Integrity servers running the Intel® Itanium® 9300 series processor. VSI intends to eventually extend support for HP Integrity servers based on all prior versions of the Intel® Itanium® platform.  VSI also reconfirmed plans to offer OpenVMS on x86-based servers by 2018.

OpenVMS is the platform of choice for customers in the mission critical market because of its

unmatched security, stability, and legendary uptime performance.

A team of US-based OpenVMS developers, many harking back to the core DEC/Compaq/HP teams responsible for OpenVMS’ prior accolades for technical excellence, completed the review and testing of the system.  VSI’s new release of OpenVMS received high marks when field tested by customers in industries such as defense, banking and financial services, manufacturing, worldwide retail operations, and gaming.

“In less than 12 months, we have not only assembled a strong team of OpenVMS developers and customer support personnel but we have also developed a roadmap with an aggressive schedule that includes support for new platforms, features and technologies,” said Duane P. Harris, CEO of VMS Software.  “We are excited about our plans to continue improving this marquee operating system and meeting the needs of a loyal customer base that has relied on OpenVMS to faithfully run their mission critical applications over the last 30 years.”

The agreement between VSI and HP enables customers to continue to purchase OpenVMS licenses and support through HP’s worldwide sales and support networks. Customers also have the flexibility of purchasing licenses and support directly from VSI. In either case, customers who currently hold qualifying HP OpenVMS licenses can purchase the Bolton Release for a 50% trade-in discount. VSI works in close collaboration with HP to ensure that customers of the new VSI software receive the same high level of support that customers have expected from HP in the past, regardless of whether customers buy from HP or VSI.

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) launched the first release of OpenVMS in 1977, under the name “VMS.” The platform gained legendary appeal for its disaster tolerance, up to 100 percent uptime, low cost of ownership, and stellar security.  “The operating system has a very loyal installed base of customers [who] show no signs of wanting to give it up,” reported one user in an InformationWeek article.

Michael Lamont, Chief Technology Officer at Process Software in Framingham, MA, a premier supplier of communications software solutions for mission-critical environments, noted that Process’ customers, including large government organizations, Fortune 500 companies, and major universities, need a very stable operating system, and that OpenVMS sets the standard for reliability.  “When it’s got to work, OpenVMS is the operating system of choice.” 

Process Software was one of the first partners VMS Software Inc. included in the beta test phase of OpenVMS V8.4-1H1.  “We wanted to build and thoroughly test our software on top of it, and the process was as smooth as could be.  We were very pleasantly surprised,” he said.  “It took us about 45 minutes to upgrade a system from start to finish, without any hiccups.  We’re very enthusiastic that VSI has stepped forward to take over the platform,” he continued.  “There is a renewed sense of enthusiasm for this great operating system.”

“Mission critical customers face ever-increasing demands for security, stability and uptime performance for their critical applications,” said Randy Meyer, vice president and general manager, Mission Critical Solutions, HP Servers.  “With the VSI OpenVMS Bolton Release and its extended development roadmap, customers will have even more flexibility to choose the OpenVMS platform that is right for their business.”

About VMS Software

VMS Software, Inc. develops, sells and supports innovative and advanced releases of OpenVMS, the most secure operating system on the planet.  The company’s core motivation is to support and enable customers to run their mission critical applications at the legendary uptime levels OpenVMS is known for, at maximum performance levels, today and into the future. VMS Software Inc. is headquartered in Bolton, MA.  For more information, go to http://www.vmssoftware.com

VMS Software, Inc.

Paula Suita

paula@suitacommunications.com

781-784-2900

[ I am a HPE Employee and an OpenVMS Ambassador ]
3 REPLIES 3

Re: VMS Software, Inc. Launches New Version of OpenVMS Operating System Worldwide V8.4-1H1

Some press releases :

vmssoftware

Yahoo Finance

BusinessWire

Morningstar

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

Re: VMS Software, Inc. Launches New Version of OpenVMS Operating System Worldwide V8.4-1H1

Great and Happy to know. Wish VSI team a continuous success in all your hard and wonderful achievemtns.

bye

Navipa

Hp  announcement - VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1: Continuing the legacy of OpenVMS - June 2015

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/openvms/what.html#!&pd1=1

We are pleased to announce the latest release of OpenVMS, named VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1. This version of OpenVMS is engineered to support HP Integrity i4 servers, and enables you to take advantage of the enormous performance gains and cost benefits, while providing a seamless migration of your applications. VSI OpenVMS is designed to consolidate your infrastructure through advanced virtualization and provide scalability, data availability and security, while providing up to 100 percent application availability through clustering.

For nearly four decades, OpenVMS has established itself as a world-class reliable and secure operating system. It continues to successfully cater to the demands of various businesses— financial service firms and stock exchanges, manufacturing plants, telecommunications providers, government agencies, and health care offices—that require high uptime, scalability to millions of users, and ease of manageability.

VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 is the latest version and is built on a strong foundation that has stood the test of time. In keeping with the commitment to support new HP hardware technologies, VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 is engineered to support HP Integrity i4 servers. The benefits of HP Integrity i4 servers include improved performance, decreased power consumption, and lower TCO. This stellar combination of hardware and software technologies offers significant performance improvements thereby enabling your applications to harness more than ever before.

In addition, proven support offerings from HP, strong technical credentials from VSI and attractive trade-in options enable you to set up your infrastructure for the future. A forward-looking roadmap for VSI OpenVMS on newer HP hardware technologies ensures that your investments are not only protected but the changing business demands are planned for. To facilitate your upgrade plans, VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 provides binary compatibility with previous versions of OpenVMS as well.

The following are the key characteristics of VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1:

• Support for HP Integrity i4 servers and HP Integrity i2 servers
  • Improved performance on HP integrity i4 servers: Lower memory latency and greater memory bandwidth
  • Binary compatibility with previous versions of OpenVMS

HP Integrity servers support with VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1

HP will resell and support VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 on the following HP Integrity i2 and HP Integrity i4 servers:

HP Integrity i2 HP Integrity i4 rx2800 i2 rx2800 i4 BL860c i2 BL860c i4 BL870c i2 BL870c i4 BL890c i2 BL890c i4

HP does not support VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 on any other server.

Layered product support with VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1

The VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 release comprises the VSI OpenVMS operating system, Base and High-Availability Operating Environment components, and VSI layered products. These VSI layered products are tested with this latest version of the VSI OpenVMS operating system. HP supports only the VSI layered products with VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 operating system. HP does not support HP layered products with VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 operating system.

You can purchase VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1 from either HP or VSI at the same price. HP and VSI will offer support on the new version. For details on support and trade-in policies, contact your HP representative.

For more information on VSI OpenVMS V8.4-1H1, check out the HP Open VMS Systems portal. For deeper insights into what VMS Software, Inc. is, please go to VMS Software.