3. Basic OpenVMS commands (Copy, Dir, Diff
and others)
4. Simple DCL procedures
5. Queue Management
6. Exposure to PCSI and VMSINSTAL
7. Introduction to various devices on an
OpenVMS system
8. Account Management
9. System Security (File Prot, ACLs, etc)
10. OpenVMS Logicals

and many others :)

regards
Mobeen
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS training for the absolute beginner

For programming pay particular attention to
Guide to creating modular procedures
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/4518/4518PRO.HTML

Guide to file applications
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4506/4506PRO.HTML

and the other guides of course.

The main thing is to get them to do things the VMS Way

Hi Ian,

The manuals on modular programming etc. have always been useful. I agree that stressing "doing things the VMS way" is the only way of guaranteeing results. But its quite paintful having to explain multi-tasking and virtual memory to graduates.

Even more painful is having to fix convuluted code where the programmer has failed to understand the underlying concepts (ASTs cause a lot of problem in this case). Still time will tell if my ideas for training in this area work.

cheers

Brian
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Do you have clusters - you will face a very daunting task to have them understand even the basic principles of VMS clustering - the fact you CAN have one system image; you CAN do without data replication; you CAN have more than 16 nodes on a distance of of to 500 miles of signal length, without significant performance costs; you CAN rely on the integrity of the data in case of fatality; you CAN share EVERYTHING without a lot hos hassling around - and that you can have your major applications on line for years and years - without interruption - while replacing ALL hardware, all OS....
I had to explain this once to a Windows guy; I tried for half an hour and all he could come up with was a question how this system could ever work....
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Willem,

Unluckily we don't have clusters (at the moment). The design of the system I work on (mixed co-operative architectures specified by other "consultants") precludes to some extent cluster technology. I keep suggesting it but sadly this falls on deaf ears. Stressing the benefits of clusters tends to result in the average consultant muttering the "VMS is dead" mantra to the customer. :) Strangely enough though these same consulants will extol the virtues of almost any unix technology.

cheers

brian

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Brian, you didn't say what country you were in....

If it's the UK, then I can recommend some good hands-on training, at a very affordable price.

Rob.
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Hi Robert,

Yep, UK based (North East England). Some costs on training might be useful to have to hand. If the company can get enough bodies on it, then they may consider it. :)

From my experience, training is something that seem to happen to other people.

cheers

Brian
Steve Reece
Advisor

If you'd like to mail me directly Brian, I may be able to help you out directly.

Steve
system ipl demon co uk
"Try not! Do, or Do not. There is no try!"
Michael Hunt_4

Hi Brian,
Like Steve Reece, I may be able to help.
If you want to send an email to mhunt planbuk com or visit the website dub-dub-dub planbuk com and call us I'll see if we can be of service.

Good luck with your search.
Best
Mike
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I found this
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wbt/pc/welcome.htm
which claims to be a VMS Primer for System Managers. Might be suitable as background reading for your new people.