Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1755701 Members
5118 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5.1BPK6 LAT PRINTER PROBLEM: " waiting for lpXX to become ready (offline ?)"

Panos Agoros
Advisor

5.1BPK6 LAT PRINTER PROBLEM: " waiting for lpXX to become ready (offline ?)"

Dear all,

during the process of migration from a production 5.1A system to a 5.1BPK6, I have installed/configured LAT and imported the original configuration. For some reason I cannot comprehend, printing queues do not work. Everything is double checked and supposed to be working since I have repeated the same process on the same server, but going to 5.1A instead of 5.1B, and it worked straight away.

The error message returned by "lpc status" & "lpq -PlpXX" is "waiting for lpXX to become ready (offline ?)".

The same print queue configured in exactly the same way on the original 5.1A system works and is printing happily. The inittab, printcap, latstartup.conf entries have been imported from the original system.

I have been through the troubleshooting steps proposed in the NETWORK CONNECTIONS manual (10.10 Solving LAT Problems) as per this specific error message but without result.

any clue?

thank you!

Panos
"This is how the world works: all energy flows according to the wills of the great magnet... What a fool was I to defy him!" (Johnny Depp/Fear+Loathing In Las Vegas)
8 REPLIES 8
Panos Agoros
Advisor

Re: 5.1BPK6 LAT PRINTER PROBLEM: " waiting for lpXX to become ready (offline ?)"

To be more precise, actually the problem is that I cannot communicate with the terminal server where the printer is connected (#latcp -d -H ===> "Remote node does not exist"). Does lat store the known servers in a specific file? how does it work?

thanks
"This is how the world works: all energy flows according to the wills of the great magnet... What a fool was I to defy him!" (Johnny Depp/Fear+Loathing In Las Vegas)
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Panos,

Is the terminal server actually live on the network ?

Where does it download its code from ?

You might get a hint from /etc/bootptab

Cheers,

Rob
Panos Agoros
Advisor

Hi Rob,

there is no concern about the terminal server is working, since we can print to a similar queue (same term.server, same port) from the original system.

upon issue of the latcp -d -H command on the original system we get a response, while this is not the case from our new 5.1B system.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

How are you specifying in these examples ? By hostname ?

Seeing the exact commands used, and the exact output will probably help.

Seeing the relevant sections of /etc/printcap for the printer involved would probably be useful as well.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Another thought.... I take it that LAT is enabled in the kernel for the new machine ?

Cheers,

Rob
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I do almost nothing with LAT on Tru64, but

These systems are on the same physical
network segment, right? (LAT doesn't get
through an IP router.)

What do these say (on each system)?:

latcp -d
latcp -d -l

> I have been through the troubleshooting
> steps [...]

That's nice, but we can't see what you did or
what you saw when you did these things.

What, exactly, is in the printcap file for
this printer?

What is the network interface on the new
system? "man lat_intro" says things like:

LAT is not supported over NetRAIN
virtual interfaces [...]

What is the terminal server? Does it do only
LAT, or Telnet, too?
Panos Agoros
Advisor

Hello,

thanks everybody for your response, the issue is solved by now!

The LAT configuration was correct. What was going wrong was that the new system was in a different VLAN than the original one. Eventhough the printer's subnet technically communicates with both VLAN's (the original box's and the new one's), LAT info couldnt get through. We entered at the new system an IP @ on another VLAN and it worked like a charm.

Conclusion: LAT doesnt like VLAN's...

thanks so much once again for your time

Panos

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Conclusion: LAT doesnt like VLAN's...

The "L" in "LAT" is for "Local", and the
people who named it were very serious about
that.. It's not a routable protocol, so, as
I said, "LAT doesn't get through an IP
router."

LAT can be _bridged_, however, so long as the
bridging is not too slow. (Long latencies
will cause trouble.) I have dim memories of
9600b/s modems on a bridging+routing leased
line between California and Minnesota, and,
while we didn't actually _rely_ on LAT over