1754971 Members
3376 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

High load

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: High load

The firmware on the ES45s is also very old: 6.6. The latest is 7.3.

You can get this from here:

http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/index.html

Cheers,

Rob
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,

What happened is that HP representative removed 4Gb memory from nodeA and put it in nodeB, so nodeB rebooted normaly, users worked the whole day without problem. The problem is not yet solved but people can work,we have to continue with investigation to bring the system to its previous state.
Just to remind that the system was working properly for many years since the day when the administrator installed some softwares in it, the kernel_idle process grew and it became difficult to work as usual. The first thing to do is to explain what happenened ...

Thanks again
Consty
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,
Please help me analyse the output here attached.
Thanks
Consty
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you still having similar problems, or is this a new question ?

For more accurate diagnosis, you should install the latest version of sys_check. You're currently running V133, latest is V144, available here:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/sys_check/

Cheers,

Rob
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
The problem was not solved, as I said in a
previous message the RAM has been increased to allow them to work, but the problem is the same. /var is filled by mqueue and oracle's mail.
Thanks for help
Consty
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

> but the problem is the same. /var is
> filled by mqueue and oracle's mail.

I don't remember that as being the original problem.

Maybe you could let us know whether the problem with the HBA has been sorted, before moving on to something else...

Cheers,

Rob
Consty
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
We stopped Node A which apparently had a hardware problem, we took it memory and increased Node B's to allow people to work. Users are working but there still exist the original problem that was slow response time, "kernel_idle" high, in addition /var is now filling quickly.
Thanks
Consty
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Consty,

from what I see from the sys_check file, your system is ill-equipped with swap space. It is less than 50% of the main memory, resulting in bad usage of the main memory (more that 4GB free) and the UBC and virtual memory fighting for the resources. Add more swap space and check the requirements and suggestions, Oracle has for system parameters.

greetings,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Strange problem, though the post arrived it did not change the last update.