3463 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Install OS on 2nd drive

pric moore
Occasional Advisor

Install OS on 2nd drive

All,
I have a Digital 4100 running Digital UNIX V4.0D (Rev. 878) AND a Compaq GS60E running Tru64 UNIX V5.0A (Rev. 1094). These machines are not heavily used, so I have not done any real system administration on them (meaning no upgrade experience). Now, I need to bring them up to the latest OS (Version 5.1B2). Both machines are AdvFS.

I am thinking that rather than doing a series of upgrades I would do an install of 5.1B2 on an unused drive and then use it as the boot drive. I know there are many issues involved, so would appreciate advice and/or references.
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Install OS on 2nd drive

Hi,

updating from 4.0D to 5.1B really would not be advisable.
Please update firmware to new.
Check your hardware whether still supported.
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/pub_page/V51B_DOCS/V51B_DOCLIST.HTM
check for docs.

greetings,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Doing the upgrade will make sure that 'the rest' stays. The extra applications, compilers, tools, whatevers. If you think you can manage those. Great, more power to you.

Personally, I have the luxury to work with minimal additions to the standard OS so indeed I prefer the clean install on an alternate disk.

When the new OS is happy I create a softlink in /etc/fmns/old_usr (and old_var, and old_root) pointing to the partitions of the of old boot disk. Then mount /old_usr_domain#usr /old_usr and so on.
Then blow over /old_root/etc/passwd and stuff, /old_usr/users and stuff and so on.

It's a bit of a hassle, but it reconfirms my understanding of what is needed on the box, and validates my backups and fall-back and so on.

And... most importantly... there is always that old boot disk to go back to! (but I suppose you could just clone that before an upgrade).

Have fun,

Hein.

Kevin Webb_4
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that 4.0D runs a much earlier version of AdvFS so you need to watch file system compatilility.
All is described in AdvFS docs

Kevin
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Why not starting using the installation guide of 5.1B? Prior to installation be sure you are using proper firmware on all included devices...
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
pric moore
Occasional Advisor

I decided to do a full install.