108868 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Query: Default Password for Custom HPE ESXi Image 8

SOLVED
Go to solution
tavin
Regular Visitor

Default Password for Custom HPE ESXi Image 8

Installed the Custom iso for HP esxi and dont know the default password. Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Default Password for Custom HPE ESXi Image 8

tavin
Regular Visitor

I guess I should have said that it is more of the vsphere web client than the local console access

esxi 8

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

Hello @tavin 

Good day! 

HPE does not typically set a default password for ESXi installations. Instead, you should have been prompted to set a password for the root user during the installation process. If you do not remember setting a password or if you are unable to log in, you might need to reset the password.

Here are the steps to reset the root password for an ESXi host:

>> Reboot your ESXi host.
>> When the BIOS screen appears, press the Shift+R key to enter recovery mode.

>> Once in recovery mode, the file system is mounted as read-only. To make changes, you need to remount it as read/write. Run the following command:

/bin/sh

This will give you a shell prompt.

>> Use the 'passwd' command to reset the root password. For example:

passwd root

You will be prompted to enter a new password.

>> After resetting the password, type 'reboot ' to restart the ESXi host.

>> Once the host reboots, you should be able to log in with the new root password.

Remember that this process involves accessing the ESXi host directly, either through a physical console or a remote console interface like iLO (Integrated Lights-Out) for HP servers. It's important to ensure you have the necessary access and permissions to perform these actions.

I hope it helps! Let me know....

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
Sunitha_Mod
Solution

Re: Default Password for Custom HPE ESXi Image 8

Hello @tavin 

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
PatrickLong
Trusted Contributor

Re: Default Password for Custom HPE ESXi Image 8

@tavinand @Vinky_99  - It is correct that HPE does not set a default password when you MANUALLY install ESXi custom image by booting to the HPE custom ESXi .iso - you set this yourself during the ESXi installation process.  If you don't remember what was set or want to change it, follow @Vinky_99 's instructions to change it.   HOWEVER - if you install ESXi using the HPE custom iso via Intelligent Provisioning, a default password is absolutely set by HPE

Please see the Intelligent Provivioning 3.8 User Guide document   https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003265en_us&page=GUID-1599A022-0F61-4D32-A026-F387D08205CA.html

where it states:

NOTE:

The default password for ESXi 7.x and 8.x is _Passw0rd_ .