New Discussion юеВ

Newbie help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dudey
Regular Visitor

Newbie help

Hi all,

I'm looking for some basic help. I've aquired a licence for vmware vsphere enterprise plus through an auction process. The problem is that I don't really know what I'm in posession of? I have a carboard enveleope with some sealed documents inside. I was hoping that someone could give me some insight into how it all works, e.g the licensing ect. The licence is for 1 processor. Does that mean that I can use one computer to control a server cluster??? I really don't know.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

3 REPLIES 3
Dudey
Regular Visitor

Re: Newbie help

Any help pls?
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

I'm by no means a VMware expert, nor do I have any idea what license you actually purchased.  You might get a better response by posting your question in a VMware forum instead of an HPE forum, but I'll try to help.

I Googled "VMware licensing" and it took me here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-7AFCC64B-7D94-48A0-86CF-8E7EF55DF68F.html

On that page it explains:

ESXi hosts are licensed with vSphere licenses. Each vSphere license has a certain capacity that you can use to license multiple physical CPUs on ESXi hosts. Starting with vSphere 7.0, one CPU license covers one CPU with up to 32 cores. If ╨░ CPU has more than 32 cores, you need additional CPU licenses.

It goes on with additional details on how licenses are applied and capacity consumed, but if you bought a 1-CPU license it sounds like you are covered up to one physical CPU with up to 32 cores.

Again, posting this same query in a dedicated VMware forum might get you more responses.

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dudey
Regular Visitor
Solution

Thanks for your help. I'll try a different forum for my question.

Cheers.

Dave.